75.0%
  2. The Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong Island

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Milepoint!

Heading to HKG in September for the first time. I am having a hard time deciding between staying at the Peninsula on the Kowloon side or the original Mandarin Oriental on Hong Kong Island. Ill be traveling with a family member. We have reservations for comparable rooms at both locations so just need help or suggestions deciding. Being that it is out first time in HKG amenities and such are VERY important for our trip. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Both are great properties.

While the Peninsula is a great property, it's extremely busy. Expect a wait in almost all restaurants inside. Lots of people go through that property per day as a visitor/tourist etc. So it depends if you like that or not.

It is, however, closely connected to nearby attractions eg. Space Museum, Harbor City. So if you're into those you might as well go for the Peninsula.

The Mandarin Oriental, on the other hand, is closely connected to Landmark, a, if not, almost top-top-scale shopping mall in HK. If you're into shopping, then that may interest you. Slightly less people, not as crowded and busy as Peninsula.

Transportation wise, both hotels are similar, closely linked to the MTR, very convenient. MO is at the Central station, Peninsula is at the Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) station

If you have AMEX Platinum, I'd say the decision factor would be FHR (Fine Hotels and Resorts) benefits that each property provides.

My vote would be the MO on the fact that I hate very large crowds.

Are MO and Peninsula the only two choices for you? Lots of great hotels in HK, especially if you're in a reward program.

jonspencer and jmjgp12 like this.
  3. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the information! I had heard the the Pen is busy due to its tourist attraction status. I am a PLAT AMEX customer and did use it for the MO - the PEN did not have any inventory for the room we wanted. These are the two properties that seemed to get the most consistent positive reviews. We are both Gold with SPG and Hilton so if you have any other ideas it would be appreciated for our decision!

Thank you again for your help!!

Sammich and jonspencer like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would vote MO too

just a more authentic HK experience staying on the island rather than in Kowloon

Sammich and jmjgp12 like this.
  5. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the advise! Appreciate the help!

6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops. Just realized there are three MO's in HK, the one I mentioned earlier is the Landmark one.

The Upper House is highly recommended, along with FS HK. If you're looking at SPG and Hilton properties I've heard good things about W and Conrad HK. Honestly most of the higher end hotels in HK are well placed (near bus, MTR/Subway). With HK's MTR you can get to anywhere, no need for a car/taxi. Service wise they're all pretty equal when it comes to high end hotels.

Like I said previously, it all comes down to pricing and type of room...and benefits if applicable. But if we're strictly talking about Peninsula and MO Landmark, MO it is.

10 years ago I stayed at a 4 star hotel in TST for about 2 months, no complaints.

jmjgp12 and jonspencer like this.
  7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to live in Admiralty so I also think of MO Landmark as 'the MO' :cool:

a few weeks ago I stayed at the Intercontinental HK which is arguably one of their best properties worldwide, it has a bustle to it but less so than The Peninsula which many years ago used to be on Victoria Harbour before all the land reclamation

local Hong Kong guys consider IC HK to probably be the most prestigious hotel in Kowloon for an event

as said above, there are many well-run hotels in HK on both sides of the harbour

jmjgp12 and Sammich like this.
  8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's what I had in mind too, I use to live around Causeway Bay.

I visited ICHK for lunch about a week ago, definitely less people now. But still considered by locals as one of the best. Me thinks they need to renovate though...

jmjgp12 likes this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    how long will you be in HK ? You may also want to consider what your plans are for the trip, that may help you firm up where to stay :p

jmjgp12 likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally would not stay at the Peninsula due to the crowds. The MO is a very nice hotel. If you have status with Hilton you might also consider the Conrad. We stayed there a few months ago and could not have been more pleased. They upgraded us to a beautiful suite, the breakfast buffet (included for Golds and Diamonds) was excellent and the location was easy to get to anything from. The service at the hotel was absolutely fantastic.

jmjgp12 likes this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sammich and jmjgp12 like this.
  12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, IC HK's location is a real plus, I stayed in a more modest accommodation close to the IC HK, the Hyatt Regency TST, on a Diamond Suite upgrade, well-run IMHO too, staff were great and very modern looking, and the free 3G smartphone in the room with free international calls to several other countries was a real plus

jmjgp12 likes this.
  13. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you certainly were not "roughing it" in a Diamond Suite at the Hyatt :eek:

jmjgp12 likes this.
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, the Regency King Suite was by no means shabby :p plus the hotel was located above a 6 storey Shopping Mall, so staying on the 15th floor and having breakfast on the 22nd floor Executive Lounge was fantastic to see Hong Kong harbour and in fact, i was looking down (no pun intended:D) at the IC HK in the near distance..

It was also satisfying that I was able to use a 2nd Diamond Suite upgrade to update my bro-in-law's family and kids also to a Regency Suite King on the same floor, first time they stayed in a suite, so new experience :D

jmjgp12 likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The RC is good for the views and the lounge. I also like the experience of it's indoor pool, although the Pen pool is special too.

jmjgp12 likes this.
  16. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank You everyone for the response and help! I think like many of you said you cant go wrong with any higher end hotel in HK on either side of the harbour. I think that we will just choose the one that feels right (if that is such a thing) and make the most of the entire expierence. Like I said its our first time (with more visits in the future I hope too) so you have to start somewhere :)

Thanks again!!

marcwint55 likes this.
  17. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not on your list, but I just stayed at The Mira hotel in Kowloon. Very nice hotel, located a block from the TST metro.

jmjgp12 likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it be considered true luxury? I don't think it's in the same class as most of the other hotels mentioned here.

19. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it is rated as a 5 star hotel, though they have no AAA Diamond rating. So yes it is a luxury hotel; however not in the same luxury as the ones mentioned.

20. Four Seasons Hong Kong AMAZING Pool Food service and everything and book EXC CLUB