Hong Kong Airlines A330 Business Class HKG - SHA : Flight report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Biscuet, Jul 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Biscuet

Biscuet Active Member

Status Points:
    I recently had to fly from Hong Kong to Shanghai Hong Qiao. Being a Star Alliance flyer, i was disappointed to see that the only Air China flight available was more than double the price of the Hong Kong Airlines flight so i had to settle for making the trip without acquiring any miles. Feels like a waste. With no access to any lounges i also had to settle for sitting on the floor for an hour as my flight was delayed nearly 90 minutes. Finally, when i walked to the gate to board, the ticket scanner starting making loud beeps. If you fly enough you know that the beeps are usually a really good sign as it means your ticket has been changed and when they change your ticket it's rarely (if ever) a downgrade. Sure enough, i went from being in 37C to 4D... biz class baby!! Not sure how that works, but i'm thankful that the airline gods love me.

For such a short flight of only an hour and 50 minutes, i was thoroughly impressed by the sleek and modern features that business class had for us. The flight attendants were incredibly kind and patient. They even offered to cover me in a down blanket and gave me some purple slippers to wear. All for a 2 hour flight!
    • The meal service was of equal or greater quality than what i've received in business class on the long-haul UA flights.
    • The movie selection was modern Western choices including ALL the Harry Potters (not that i'm a fan, but i still thought it was cool that they had all of them).
    • The chairs were wide and the foot room was more than spacious. The lay-flat seats were awesome and would have been even more awesome if it were a longer flight.
    • All-in-all, it was a world-class biz class experience. Even made me consider switching to whatever alliance HK Airlines is under.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OY-JFS, sfo1, nldogbert and 7 others like this.
  2. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great report! Love it when the last minute total unexpected gate upgrade comes through. Happened to me once Air China PEK-HKG. The little salt and pepper shakers are cool!

3. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great report Bizzzquet!! Seems to me with the little Asian travel I've done they know how to do it right. Flying in Asia for a couple of weeks will spoil you for sure. Get back to the states and it's like looking forward to taking a cold shower...dang this is going to suck...but...gotta do it.

4. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice trip report. Thanks for posting.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  5. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice insight into this relatively unknown airline outside of Asia. They were suppose to fly to europe (Belgium), but I do not know what happened to their plan. Currently they only codeshare with Hainan to Brussel. They would be a good competition to Cathay.