Honeymoon to AKL...looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by adamhoolhorst, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting married in a month and we're headed to New Zealand for our honeymoon. I got in on the SQ inventory mishap on united.com and booked our trip, with the return in F.

(SQ) SFO-SIN-AKL outbound in J (with SIN-AKL on the 777-200ER with Spacebeds)
    (SQ) MEL-SIN-SFO inbound in F, including a segment on the A380

I just want to make this trip as memorable as it can be, and I'm wondering if I can/should even bother finding something in F for the outbound portion. I have traveled on SQ J for work a few times and it is awesome, no doubt, but I haven't been on the older J product.

Should I just be happy with what I have already booked? I spoiled Mrs Soon-to-be with LH F and CX F in the last year.

Thanks for the advice.

2. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't help you out with any advice for AKL, but, as a newlywed who just took the wife in United F (I'm sure it's not even comparable to LH, CX, or SQ) on the way back from our honeymoon in Ireland and Switzerland, I just want to let you know that you're officially screwed from here on out. She'll never want to fly economy again (or maybe doesn't already). I hope you have an endless supply of miles & points.

So, where do you go from LH, CX, and SQ F? LX F? TG F?

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ still has spacebeds??? I think you're on their new regional product, which is a refresh of space beds.

Regardless, I'd keep what you have on the return, no doubt. If you've already done LH F and CX F, I can't really think of anything else but to stick with SQ J from SFO to AKL. Maybe QF F on the A380 if it opens up (SFO-LAX-SYD-AKL)?

4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great trip indeed. I'm doing a similar trip in February (IAD-NRT-AKL, SYD-SIN-NRT-IAD, sadly only in business). Keep us posted on how you find AKL to be.

5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quoted for truth. Chris Rock said it best, "Women cannot go backwards in lifestyle. Men cannot go backwards sexually."

6. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't spend a lot of time in AKL. Rent a car and head out to Rotorua. It is only about 1.5 hour drive and has lots of thermal spots as well as some great spas. How long will you be in Auckland? We did a harbor cruise on a sailboat that was very fun. Hilton Auckland is nice.

7. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes the purple spacebeds are still in existence on several 772ERs.

As for AKL, taking the ferry from CBD to Devonport is always something I recommend. Victoria Rd and Clarence St. in Devonport have antique shops worth a stroll just to browse around as well as good selections of restaurants to dine as well. All these are within walking distances once you get off the ferry.

Ponsonby west of the CBD also have nice range of shops, and bars.

8. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree on Auckland - it has its points of interest but liked Rotorua and the countryside best.

As for the flights, I'd just go with what the OP has personally. And congrats on the pending nuptials adamhoolhorst

9. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the response. We're only a few weeks away at this point, and I think I am going to stick with what I've got. I'll monitor things like Qantas F but I seriously doubt that will open up.

Likewise, thanks for the suggestions. We are only spending 2 nights in AKL to set our clocks, then heading to Great Barrier Island for a week of relaxation. Following that we are flying to Wellington, taking the ferry to Picton, and then renting a car for the next two weeks.

Anyone with good/bad experiences in South Island? I think we are going to spend about a week making our way down to Queenstown, and then spend 4-5 days there, with a few at the Hilton to save some $$. Looks like a nice property, and with a car we can still get into town.

10. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    We spent 10 days on the South Island. We drove from Christchurch to Te Anau and back to Queenstown. It was a fabulous trip. We did the Transalpine train ride near Christchurch, we swam with the dolphins at Akaroa, spent a night at Mt. Cook and did the boat trip to the face of the glacier, did the Shotover jet at Queenstown, did the Milford South cruise. This was one of the best trips of my life and I know that you are going to have a teriffic trip no matter what you do. The island is absolutely stunning. Jaw dropping vistas around every corner. Best of luck on your adventure.