Honeymoon in Ireland and Switzerland - Trip Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Mikus33, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My soon to be wife and I will be taking a 9 day trip through Ireland with 1.5 day stopover in Zurich, Switzerland. I've got the flights booked, and am just starting to look at planning the actual trip. I figured this would be a great place to find suggestions of things to see, maybe that aren't found in the typical guidebooks.

I've picked up the Eyewitness and Rick Steve's guidebooks, as I've heard great things about Eyewitness and I've enjoyed the Rick Steve's books in the past. We'll be renting a car in Dublin, and driving around the country, hopefully staying in mostly bed and breakfasts with a castle or two thrown in there. We're not big on spending much time in Dublin (or other big cities), as we'd prefer to see more of the natural beauty of Ireland - the countryside and the castles. We know there will be some major tourist stops we'll want to see, but the further off the beaten path the better. We'd love to take easy to medium difficulty hikes and/or bike rides if you have suggestions on those.

Due to the flights available, we were also able to add a day and a half in Zurich, Switzerland. If you've got suggestions for sites to see near Zurich or a small town to spend a night in, please pass that along.

My fiancee is a foodie, so any suggestions on restaurants to check out, please pass those along too.

Any suggestions you guys have for things to see or otherwise would be great. Thanks in advance for your help!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Ireland Help Desk thread ought to be of some assistance. Foodie or not, everyone should have at least a (huge) sandwich at O'Neill's in Dublin. And my world favorite chipper is in Galway - McDonagh's. Apparently a great fish restaurant but I never make it past the fish and chip shop.

3. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I guess I'll post a link to this thread and/or quote my original post above.

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll have to hit up both of those places.

miles and smiles likes this.