Homewood Suites never has HGTV

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Casey Friday, Jan 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I don't subscribe to cable TV, so we only watch about 2 or 3 shows at a time via Amazon Prime, iTunes, or some other method on the laptop. One of our favorite guilty pleasures while on vacation is to veg out to HGTV at the hotel.

Our food allergies make it necessary to stay in a hotel with a kichen, and the Homewood Suites are perfect for this - along with just being much higher quality than other hotels. Sadly, though, out of the 5 or 6 Homewoods we've stayed at, none broadcast HGTV.

It definitely forces us to be at least a bit more productive with our time, but it's also a bit of a downer. Does anyone else shed a tear at the lack of Holmes on Holmes and House Hunters at Homewood properties?

riverchica and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  2. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    House Hunters International was a glaring omission from your post. I will assume this was only a momentary lapse on your part and I will try not to question your integrity as a human being....Are you a serial killer?

Oops, sorry.That slipped.

But seriously. HHI, where is it?

Casey Friday likes this.
  3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If 1 of the 6 had HGTV, then the title's inclusion of "never" is technically inaccurate. ;)

Casey Friday likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's one of those channels that I have never tuned in on my cable box :)

javacodeguy and icurhere2 like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Casey Friday likes this.
  6. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I can't wait to stay at Homewood just to get away from HGTV.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    House Hunters International has recently appeared on the Travel Channel.

Casey Friday likes this.
  8. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Haha! I intended for HHI to be included in my HH mention.

9. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I said "5 or 6", not "5 out of 6". So with my current data, they never have it! :)

10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I am going to have to fess up and admit I am a HHI addict. I DVR them and watch them when I am doing my treadmill workouts.

Casey Friday likes this.
  11. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ack! I just booked a stay at a Homewood Suites. I've been banned from HGTV at home - I turn into a zombie that can only discuss bath fixtures - and have to get my fix in hotels. I haven't stayed in a Homewood Suites in years. Who knew what I had to fear?

Toula and Casey Friday like this.
  12. TexasT
    Original Member

TexasT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you may just be on a streak of staying at hotels with random cable channels that don't include your preferences - I'm at a Homewood Suites (in Chicago) as I type and they have HGTV here.

I think each property chooses their channels and unfortunately their choices may not always be what we want. I admit that I truly wished they all would post their lineup online as it could sway my decision from one proeprty to another, especially during a longer stay, lol.

Best wishes in your future stays!

13. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like the OP, I do not have cable at home, and I love HGTV when I travel. What I've noticed is that at full-service hotels - Hilton and Marriott are my chains of choice - they don't carry HGTV, but do have dozens (yes, I exaggerate) of ESPN channels. At the lower end - Fairfield, etc., they do have HGTV and only a half dozen ESPN channels.

heatherj likes this.
  14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having actually done some work with facilities cable packages, most full service hotels have DirecTV which charges by the channel based on rates by the providers. In this case they have to prioritize which channels they offer. Add to the complication that it is often cheaper to get all of the ESPN channels than the select few when using this system, it is easy to understand how channels that are taken for granted are missing on a Full Service lineup.

At the limited service properties, they usually just get the commercial extended basic cable package, and there is a lot less selection of channels that occurs in this. Now there are some changes coming down the pipeline that will provide more options for hotels to customize channel lineups from their local cable provider (up to 60), but that is only now being rolled out, and is still dependent on the rates being charged by the cable company versus DirecTV.

15. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel for you! More often than not, my hotels of choice deny me my daily dose of MSNBC!

16. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least I'm not alone. I'm painfully addicted to HGTV.

Love HH and HHI. So nice to see other places, the architecture, how much house you can get for your money
    I get a lot of decorating ideas from other shows
    Not to mention Kitchen Cousins and Property Brothers. I'm just going to wreck my house so they have to come over and fix it :D

17. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy to report that we weren't forced to suffer HGTV-less at the Homewood Suites in ABQ!

18. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in a Homewood Suites and they have HGTV. They do not, however, have BRAVO which is one of my fave channels :(

19. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that when I stayed at that property last week! So excited! They must have gotten HGTV (and a hi-def upgrade) over the new year, as I've stayed there before quite a bit, and they didn't have it.

20. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I jinxed myself! Checked into a different HS today and no HGTV :( I miss it already!

21. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At my first homewood and they do have HGTV!

22. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Channel lineup would play a part in choosing a hotel? Where on your list is this of reasons to pick a hotel? I've never had two hotels so similar that TV would even come into play as a deciding factor.

23. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to be staying out of town for long periods by yourself, choice in TV channels could actually be one of the deciding factors. If I was debating between a Residence Inn or a Homewood Suites, it could be tiny things like that which could sway me from one or the other since otherwise they offer the same amenities. You could also have 2 of the same hotel very close to each other (such as I just experienced with Homewood) and have a choice on which to go to.

TexasT likes this.
  24. TexasT
    Original Member

TexasT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as Circi mentioned - on longer stays when you have a choice of similar hotels equidistant from the site you are visiting, knowing the tv channel choices could be the tiebreaker. No, it definitely would not be part of my top 3 reasons (price, brand, and location), but there have been times where I have stayed in hotels with limited channels in their lineup whereas had I known another similar property (within a few miles distance at the same price) had more of the channels I'd prefer to watch, then yes, I would choose the other property.

Admittedly, most hotels these days have expanded their lineup, but I have stayed at too many hotels that pretty much only had the local channels and a few of cable options that I don't watch and given the speed of the internet, I did wish they had included more cable channels.

Likewise, if someone wanted to watch a specific event or show, knowing that they would be able to catch it (versus discovering afetr checking in the channel isn't available) would likely be the better option or at leat allow the person to plan in advance.

This isn't a consideration factor in some cities and for many hotels, but there are often times I'm picking which hotel I'm staying at with no real reason other than a random choice given their similarities (same price, more or less the same distance from where I need to be and same amenities) that the tv channel lineup could be a reason for me to pick one over the other given that I'm pretty much doing eenie miney moe now, lol.

25. heatherj

heatherj Member

Status Points:
    I love this thread! HGTV is my go to channel, and I am always disappointed when it is not offered in the hotels I stay in. Last week I stayed in three hotels, and none of them had HGTV (oh, the horror!! LOL). However, they did have at least 6 ESPN channels, some military channel, NASA TV, etc etc.

I have been known to not return to a hotel based on their TV channels. Sad, but true. Sometimes I just want to relax and watch some TV, what can I say?!