"Homemade" tortellini?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by anabolism, Mar 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Went to select my entree, and noticed that one of the choices is described thusly:

Cheese Tortellini with Romano Sauce
    Homemade tortellini stuffed with three cheeses, topped with tomato, mushroom and mozzarella sauce, Parmesan cheese and parsly

What can "homemade" possibly mean in this context? Airlines meals come from a commissary. They are by necessity and by definition mass-produced.

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clearly it's homemade by Santa's elves. They have to have something to do the rest of the year. Mrs. Claus makes a mean tortellini.

Seriously, just goes to show the liberties taken with the language. Send a message to AA. Would love to hear the response.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe they set up a dormitory for workers next to the factory line?

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easily done, as I've received several copies of the response over the years. (It doesn't make any difference if one didn't complain about the food, offered a suggestion to improve the labeling, or any other aspect -- if the message mentions food, this is the response.)

Dear Anabolism:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations, I welcome the opportunity to reply.

There is no question that the quality of food served on board our aircraft can either contribute to -- or detract from -- your overall enjoyment of a flight. I am sorry the meal we offered did not meet your expectations. Your disappointment is a cause of concern, and we appreciate your letting us know.

We carefully monitor our food and beverage service, using a checklist that contains specifications for the amount, type and appearance of our food trays. When we are notified of inconsistencies, we work with the caterer to ensure that these deficiencies are not repeated. Surveys of customer reactions to our service, and observations such as yours, help us to identify problem areas and take appropriate corrective action.

Accordingly, we have sent a copy of your criticism to the Managing Director of Food and Beverage Service so that your perceptions may be reviewed with the local caterer. We are always eager to improve our meal service and appreciate your input.

Anabolism, we are all working hard to ensure that every flight on American is enjoyable, and, again, I am sorry we disappointed you. Please travel with us again soon.

As I mentioned, it doesn't matter if there was a complaint or disappointment.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the FA's have a pasta press we didn't know about? Pics or it didn't happen! :)

6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to learn to trick the automated filters. Something like: "I have a questions about the labeling of your consumable products. Within whose home is my consumable product being made?" :p

free101girl, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    These two women make all of AA's Italian offerings from scratch.
    They work nearly 20 hours per day to keep up with AA's very active meal planning.
    Bless both of them for their efforts. :D

[​IMG]

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you please tell them to use less water in the ravioli? It's always a wet mess. The tortellini, however, is great. :)

9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please put in my order for spaghetti and meat balls. I'm still a simple guy when it comes to food.

uggboy and flyforawg like this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha! Love it.

uggboy likes this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main problem I have is the massive amounts of garlic and salt. I end up parched, terribly thirsty, then I drink lots of water but am still garlic, salt, and water-logged but with stinky breath and a bursting bladder.

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like my prom.

anabolism and John777 like this.
  13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad I wasn't with you! Actually, makes me glad my high school didn't have a prom.

14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't spout off to us. It's those two women you need to complain to if you want anything done about it.

15. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found a video that shows what goes into the tortellini and how they're made:

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that would be out of the price range of AA's catering.

17. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Y'all know nothin'. Pasta obviously grows on trees.