Homecoming for a Marine

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rcnelson65721, Aug 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. rcnelson65721

rcnelson65721 Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to redeem my personal miles to help get a Marine home to surprise his family. He needs to leave ICN on Sept 14th. He can fly into ORD, IND, STL, or BNA. He needs to be back in Seoul on the 25th of Sept. I currently have around 115k AA miles and 55k United miles. I found a Business saver from ICN on the 14th - but he would have to go to HNL to PHX to IND. It has a brutal 12 hour layover in HNL. In they way back I found a 35k Economy saver on United direct from ORD.

I was wondering if I am missing a better routing over for 50k miles. I would love to be able for him to fly business class. But I don't want to spend more than the 50k.

Any thoughts you or anyone could suggest would be amazing!!!

He hasn't been home in over a year and his wife and two kids are going to be so excited to see him!

Thank you,

KenInEscazu likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see a bunch of one stop economy awards on United for the 14th, via NRT or SFO. 35k miles. 80k miles for nonstop J to ORD on Asiana, and a couple of 70k J one-stops.

Not sure that that helps you unless you can find a return on AA.

12 hrs in HNL may not be that bad. Quick stop to visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri?

timfrost likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit confused. The US government flies all military service members free of charge when on military orders. Those service members separated from their families might be able to also use the government airline ticketing office. It might also be possible for this Marine to use miles to upgrade their coach fare seat, or just maybe score a complimentary seating upgrade on his government airline ticket, particularly while traveling in uniform. Has this been looked into?