Home Airport BWI: Choose between American or United?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Acdgrad, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Good afternoon everyone glad to be associated with other Frequent Travelers like myself. This is my question/quandary my home airport (BWI) is not a Hub for any major Air Carrier. To that end I have achieved Advantage Platinum status of American Airlines and Premier Executive on United Airlines. The majority of my miles are accrued during International travel; for the majority of these flights I use IAD (although it is 1.5 hour commute one way). My dilemma is this because I split my domestic travel between United and American airlines (and Various code share partners) I can never quite crack the 1k status hurdle on either carrier. Short of a mileage run are there any other suggestions from the forum?

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to consolidate all of your flying on United if possible. Also, there some ways to earn EQM with spend on the UA credit cards. How much over 50,000 EQM do you usually fly on American and United. If you fly enough, it might be worth it to keep some mileage on American just to achieve gold in case your travel patterns ever change.

3. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    First I would ask how many miles you might have on AA toward the lifetime status levels. If not much then you might be best served to go with mowogo's suggestion and shift all your flying over to UA. Of course that also depends on which airline you feel most comfortable with. Flying out of IAD I would personally choose UA because it is a hub, but I'm biased since I fly out of DEN. Of course, I've heard that a few MR's never hurt anyone...

4. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To get more EQM out of your trips, try adding as many segments as possible instead of going on the most direct route. This is sometimes possible for just a few dollars more depending on availability.

5. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do any airlines give lifetime status on segments?

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe so.

7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Acdgrad.
    I used to be in a similar situation with mid level on both UA and AA. I gave up on UA for several reasons to start pushing everything to AA. I was traveling less. UA cut some routes I wasn't willing to give up. My destinations changed from Asia to South America. And because AA uses all miles towards their lifetime status.

I have not made 1k/exp yet in the 4 years since but will finally do it this year. I know UA's program has seen changes since I left it so I won't advise you on which to choose, but I fully believe putting all your flights to one alliance/program is a smarter move in most situations.

8. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other things to keep in mind are:

-for domestic travel, you have a better chance for upgrades at any level of UA, whereas you must be certain that you will attain AA EXP for upgrades.

-systemwide upgrades - easier to use on AA by far, but if you go for UA 1k they can be used on LH at check-in

-lifetime miles (as stated above) - note your AA earning on the ground and keep in mind that the "all miles go to lifetime status" deal can go away at any time.

-award mile earning/use - the redemption opportunities, especially the quality of partner awards, seem better through AA and they seem more generous in handing out award miles then UA.

-UA has a far better route network. if you were to move/transfer or change your longhaul patterns, the chances are better that you can stay with UA.

-E+ on UA is a big deal for me, it makes Y travel more bearable.

Overall I would suggest trying to get all your travel to UA.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its been a while for me. Do BIS miles on LH (whole family of LH even?) count for UA lifetime? or only UA metal? I somehow remember most star alliance airlines do not, but I know they have a tighter relationship with LH.

10. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately it is only UA and UA Express metal - CO counts as well as CO/UA will be combined at the end of the year.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,5046,52380,00.html

It is the SWU's that can be used on LH (only LH metal, not family metal)

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm always wondering about going back, but until I finish up AA I think I'm staying for now.