Holiday MR?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by NDFAN 2, Nov 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering if anyone has ever done a mileage run on a holiday? I have heard that sometimes airfares are lower on the actual holiday since most people are at their destination already? Not sure how accurate that is but thought I would open it up to the group.

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, we've done it. Also, some people do bump runs on the busy days (like yesterday)- book trips on flights that are going to be overbooked, and take the VDB (voluntary denied boarding). It can be profitable if you do it right.

3. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like going on the Sunday of Memorial day, July 4th or Labor day.... Empty Flights, Cheap Fares, Easy Upgrades--- did a bunch as Silver Medallion this year. Upgraded every segment. Bring a book, drink some wine... best day to do it...

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep....Planes are a bit emptier on the day of the holiday, etc. Did Nuremberg last year over thkgiving, going to HKG next week (I guess not exactly a holiday MR)...

5. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. Are your mileage runs for status or to obtain additional miles for a specific award redemption?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    My MRs are done solely to upgrade/maintain Status. I get plenty of skypesos for credit card purchases, skymiles dining etc. Status is the real prize - I've never ever thought of a MR just to top off an award...

Gargoyle likes this.