Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Tax Dude, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tax Dude
    Original Member

Tax Dude Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may as well start the discussion off about this recently-rebranded Holiday Inn on Waikiki Beach.

I had two stays here earlier this month (Feb '11). I booked the lowest category room as a Platinum member and was upgraded to an ocean-view king in advance on the second stay. The first stay was during the Pro Bowl so the hotel was fully booked and I wasn't surprised to not get an upgrade.

The hotel is beside the International Marketplace, across Kalakaua Blvd from the beach side. There's an easy access to the beach between a couple of the buildings. There's a Jimmy Buffet's bar/restaurant that serves a mean (and expensive) 1944-style Mai Tai and a colossal nacho plate. The Surfer's Museum Bar has a happy hour from 2-5 with reduced price beer/wine/cocktails.

There was no difference between the standard and the ocean view except for the floors they were on. The rooms were both in good shape and had shower-only bathrooms. Beds were comfy. The standard room was on the 5th floor and had a view of some buildings and the International Marketplace next door. The ocean-view was on the same side, but on the 22nd floor and looked over the adjacent buildings giving a reasonable view of the beach. I asked about a late checkout and was told that 2:00 pm was standard for Priority Club members. Didn't have a car, but parking was expensive (I think it was $30/day.)

Nice features were free internet (wired) and free local and North American long distance. I think this is a hold-over from the previous brand, but it was a very nice surprise. All in all, it was a pretty good option for a paid stay on Waikiki Beach.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  2. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel used to be the OHANA Waikiki Beachcomber and Outrigger Enterprises Group continues to own and manage it. Besides the free phone calls back to the mainland, another benefit is that you can ride the Waikiki Trolley Pink line just by showing your room key. This can take you as far as the Ala Moana Center.

My wife and I stayed there in December, and we were also upgraded to an Ocean View room as Platinum PC members.

3. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool.
    I will have to check them out. When I was down in HNL last year, I was surprised that there is no IHG property in Hawaii

Skyvillager likes this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any further comments on this property in the past 2+ years?

5. icyspam

icyspam New Member

Status Points:
    What do you need to know? I'm just down the road.

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, just recent stay reports. I usually stay next door at the PK when I need an inexpensive one night stay where I have status, but the resort fee BS has done me in.