Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium Review

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by synd, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

recently stayed at the Atrium on a C&P redemption and was extremely pleased with this property. It started from the moment I checked in with an extremely friendly check in member (Ghobby), I asked about lounge access and in the end I was offered for an extra 60 SGD / night, lounge + internet + a suite, which turned out to be a real decent value imo.

Breakfast:

Breakfast can be taken either in the lounge or on the 4th floor buffet restaurant. Breakfast offering are actually pretty decent and I would usually go to both places, as the lounge had Nespresso grand crus, and some good smoked salmon. In the main restaurant there was a really good selection of eggs anyway you want them, cheese, salad, dim sum, ham, sausages, toast, fried noodles, etc..

Cocktail hour:

6 - 8 pm, single red and white offering from chile but allright. The food offerings though are kind of small compared to IC or Hyatts, with 3 hot choices changing every night, several different cold amuse bouche and some cheese.

Lounge:

Located on the last floor 27th, with a nice view of the surrounding area, you can even see part of the skypark. There is a staircase in the middle of it going up to rooftop where there appears to be a terrace but unfortunately we don't get access anymore. The staff is the reason I loved the place, always greeted by name, willing to chat and asking you how you were doing. In the majority of hotels I stay at, the interaction I get with the staff is room number and what do you want for drinks and it stops there.

Room:

Decent sized 1 bedroom suite, a little bland regarding the decoration, and I guess it missed some stuff. There was a guest toilet, a 4 chair dining table, sofa, desk. Room service was really fast everytime I ordered and the prices were allright.

This is where the hotel lacks but there is nothing they can do about it unfortunately, otherwise it would definitively make it a prime choice for a stay in SIN. it's about a 15 minute walk to Clarke Quay MRT.

uggboy and brinkers like this.
  2. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice review, I have stayed at this property a few times, and always enjoy the stays. They do look after the platinum PC members.

I used to walk to the Outram Park MRT, but sometimes catch the bus from across the street. The No 5 bus is a useful one!

I'm not sure where they are updating it, but they are still on the old logo, so there must be some work still to be done.

uggboy likes this.
  3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh, was I at the same property? :confused:

Had an 18-hour layover in Singapore today, and flaked out around lunchtime so decided to get somewhere to sleep for a few hours (and if I could get some points too, then why not?).

Booked the cheapest room at the HI Atrium (it's much cheaper than the other two IHG properties nearby). My (very quick) impressions:

Good: price, the architecture (the whole hotel is hollow, with the rooms around the outside of the inner open space: it's pretty cool as well as slightly dizzying), early checkin/late checkout offered as Plat Amb, nice firm bed and decent bedding, staff pleasant

Bad: no room upgrade for Plat Amb, old and quirky elevators, bad plumbing in my room (neither sink nor bath would drain properly), charges for internet

Overall: bearing in mind that I just crashed out here for a few hours, it was fine. However, if I were actually planning to stay I doubt I would choose this property. It's showing it's age and didn't provide the perks some places do (HI Chiang Mai, I'm talking about you here!) :D

cennas and uggboy like this.
  4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Views from just outside my 9th floor room: one down into the lobby, and the other up towards the top of the hotel...

Fairly unique design.

Attached Files:

cennas and uggboy like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the cheap pricing here so I'll spend my 1st night in SIN here.

I always received a kooky room, with a step up (or was it down) as soon as I entered the room.

That said, I still miss the el cheapo Le Meridien, RIP.

uggboy likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The location is near the quiet end of the river, which has a footpath and pedestrian bridges for some pleasant walks. You can find bum boats to tour the river and get to the more lively section, but I'm not sure how frequently they come to this area. There's a huge non-touristic (sort of middle or upper-middle class in the American sense) shopping mall within walking distance. The restaurants on this end of the river are generally pleasant and decent too, without the wild crowds that you face around Clarke Quay. Distance to the subway is a negative here.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here one time about 3 years ago. Hotel is a bit old, but the price is cheap for SIN. Location is not so good, but if you walk to Great World City, there's a regular shuttle that will take you to Orchard (Ngee Ann City mall). Bus #5 will also get you to the Orchard/Scotts Rds area.

sendaiben and uggboy like this.
  8. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm that's strange that they didn't upgrade you as a Plat. I got suites here even after booking their cheapest room. Did you ask about any upgrade?

Incidentally for people who stay here, walk 5 minutes to the em by the River restaurant just across the bridge crossing the river and order their Eggs Benedict, it's great!!!

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was here on an award stay earlier this year (when it was still 15k per night). Had a lot of problems. Did not get the type of bed I booked. No upgrade at all. Non-smoking room smelled of smoke. Moved to another room even worse than the first one.

Ended up leaving after the first night. They offered all sorts of stuff as I was leaving (actual upgrade, lounge access, etc), but by then had already booked the Hyatt.

10. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here a couple of times. The club is pretty good and the rooms are nice too. I wasn't Platinum yet, so no comment about upgrades.

I find the area a bit dull though.

11. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting reviews I've stayed there once as the price was good. However I wasn't terribly impressed with the service, clientele nor was I given any upgrade. Location wasn't great either. Sorry I cannot be more positive.

12. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ, DJP_707 and iolaire like this.
  13. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a great stay there as a Platinum a year ago as well. Got an upgrade to an Executive room as we were celebrating my daughter's birthday. Variety of food in the lounge was not great i recall but acceptable. Price of room is competitive vs other hotels of this category, IMHO.

15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's great. Thinking of returning here for a stay. The last time I stayed here, it was still known as Concorde Hotel, I was still single. I think that was 15 years back? phew. Talk about a trip down the memory lane.

markcwj likes this.
  16. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ likes this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, and ex-Le Meridien was where I held my Wedding Solemisation in 2003. :cool: