Holiday Inn Platinum

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by txmoney, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish holiday inn had something higher that platinum. Have they ever given any thought to an invitation level like the RA. I will hit platinum this month and I guess I will work on getting platinum with Marriott. I would stay with holiday inn but its not worth it. They don't have any special offers going on right now. I have been in the program since 1987.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    And more importantly, what would be a good name for it (within the precious metals theme)? :D
    I was amused awhile back when some CC companies started coming out with "titanium" level cards. They made them higher level than Pt, but titanium is not rare at all and is considered to be a "base metal".

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plutonium? Some people might find it .... precious.

I don't necessarily think that PC needs another level, just more benefits for the Platinum level. But that would then probably mean not giving it for $45 to Visa card holders anymore. So for my few PC stays I am actually quite content with the status quo. Which is changing anyway...

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/ihg-exciting-changes-happening-soon.59440

SuperKirby, GoodBoy and MX like this.
  4. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know...but don't you think the people that are here 200 night a year should have a little more than the guys who use the credit card. I have been loyal for many years but I'm enjoying the benefits of Marriott and may make the change to them. If I can be platinum with both it looks like Marriott has better properties.

SuperKirby and uggboy like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed !
    You know Plat has never been anything special, so why loyal for so many years? At 200 nights per year, I'm of the belief you should have been trying the other chains out there to know for sure which program works for you. I guess why are you just now realizing that Holiday Inn just isn't worth it anymore, what has changed for you? (or do you not have a choice of where you stay?)

6. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can stay wherever but I have been loyal because it has been good for redeeming points. Your right I should try others and I am. I just wish they gave us more credit for being loyal.

SuperKirby, uggboy and sobore like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. the overall program has not been bad, but they lag a bit compared to other chains higher elite status.

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    lag a bit??:eek: , the program has been dismal compared to other chains (breakfast, internet, upgrades, lounges). All I would count on were extra points and a bottle of water/granola bar/candy and perhaps a free breakfast now and then (rare).

I've always valued PC program in terms of it being my fall back if my primary chain(s) were not available. The PC points have come in handy so it was good for me to have some on hand.

I do hope with making Plat harder to qualify for that IHG steps forward and institutes some worthwhile benefits for being a Plat, guess we'll find out in July when new program is rolled out.

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've made them my primary program for Europe travel just on price (just can't afford Hyatt over there, let alone their small footprint). My backup hotel chain in Germany is Motel One, which I don't think has a membership program, but they are everywhere (Dresden, Leipzig, Berlin, Munich) and at a reasonable price. Once in a while even PC is not convenient due to an outer city location, like in Leipzig where the Motel One is in the center of the city, or just on price.

When I was in Salzburg in February, the Crowne Plaza upgraded me to a junior suite.

When I was in Berlin the same month, the Holiday Inn Express near Potsdamerplatz put me in a quiet 6th floor wing--I only saw one other guest on that floor over 4 days. I was with friends who were placed on a lower floor with a school group (this property has 300 rooms--biggest HIX in Germany).

Do I expect any amenities? Not really, but once in a while they toss something my way. Most of the properties I book already offer free wi-fi, so the changes there aren't going to be much of a change for me.

I've been able to use points at an Indigo during the Olympics (10 nights, last published rate I saw was $450), and I have an upcoming stay in Australia on points at a property that is running $350 a night out west due to the mining boom.

I'm not happy with the recent point increase for properties as everything I have booked with points in the past would now cost more, but just don't see a different viable option out there for a cost-conscious traveler.

Tom in the Flagship Lounge at ORD

SuperKirby likes this.
  10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, why I joined PC even though Hyatt is my fav.