Holiday Inn Express, Monterey, CA

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Apr 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was to be in Monterey for a business dinner - worthy of the trip, but not worthy of a weekend-priced hotel near Cannery Row. (Yes, a business expense, but as the owner ... just couldn't justify $200++ for this one.) So, thanks to Crack the Case and other promos, I decided to "Raid the Points Bucket" and I had two choices - the HI Express, or the Intercontinental (Clement).

IC - arguably a lot nicer, a shorter walk to the dinner (we're talking under 10 minutes). Parking and internet - I figure w/tips, tax, etc., I'd have spent near $50 for the free night. Not to mention no breakfast.

HIX - Free parking (I can't tell if this would ever get full, but it seems possible). Internet - free. Room - very nice and modern. Refrigerator, ample bathroom, and from the room map, it looks like I have a smaller room and it is fairly large. Hot tub - tiny, and didn't use. Location - great - a few steps from Cannery Row. Breakfast - not bad for a HIX - pancake machine, and a few extras over the minimums. Coffee? Tempted to get some elsewhere. And the breakfast area is a zoo - not enough seating, and kids on the weekend, etc etc... But only a minor complaint. Best of all, an "off the beaten path" wine tasting room almost right next door. Only a block from tourist hell, without being in it.

I'm certainly not disappointed that I saved a lot of points and about $50, not having to wait for valet, and discovering another winery. I'd not hesitate to stay here again. The paid rates are possibly amongst the highest in the HIX chain, but them's the price of staying in a respectable place right near Cannery Row.

gleff likes this.
  2. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    HI Express Cannery Row (25,000 points per night) is a great location and now the property is 15,000 points less per night than InterContinental Monterey - The Clement (40,000 points). Arguably the IC has the best tourist location for Monterey directly on Cannery Row adjacent to the Aquarium.

Free parking is a huge deal in this part of town where parking spaces are at a premium and parking tickets for expired meters are a great income generator for our city. The meters around Cannery Row and all of Monterey are aggresively monitored to soak tourists and locals for revenue.

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. I've been tempted to stay here before, but we get treated so well at the Clement and usually the price difference between the two is so minimal that I can't stay away from the Clement and the upgrade they give RAs. :)

For the savings in points and value of freebies, though, The HIX is a great deal.

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another Clement fan here. One visit and I have been sucked in for life, won't stay anywhere else when we are in Monterey.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  5. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review, I too have stayed at the IC Monterey using a promotion for free nights and agree that incidental charges add up quickly... It's nice to know there is a viable Priority Club alternative in the area when staying on points.

sdcarver