Holiday Inn Express, Dublin Airport, Ireland

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by uggboy, Oct 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed recently 2 separate nights at the Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport:

Shuttle: Combined complimentary shuttle bus service with the Crowne Plaza Hotel which is located next door to the Holiday Inn Express. The shuttle runs from very early to very late every 30 minutes // excluding some hours in the afternoon, when the shuttle runs hourly. The HIE is located around 10 minutes drive from Dublin Airport. The shuttle bus always on time.

Welcome: Very friendly and very efficient welcome to the hotel on reception on both occasions, they remembered us too. Reception can get crowded when many using the check-in at the same time. On both stays we had booked a double room with extra sofa bed, they are larger we believe against booking a standard room here.

Room: Medium sized, simple modern design, airy and comfortable, great for the price paid on both stays, first stay was on the 3rd floor and our second stay was on the 1st floor, same room type. Double bed, extra sofa bed, TV // old tube style // writing desk // complimentary internet eg. during our second stay we could not pick up the signal which is shared with the adjoining Crowne Plaza hotel.

A limited in-room-service menu is offered from the Crowne Plaza hotel. No tray charge!

The bed had soft and firm pillow choice and was comfortable. We had views over some trees and the car park. Our room boasted also a kettle // instant coffee // cups and sugar. The bathroom had a shower, very good pressure, a sink and a toilet of course. The bath amenities were by Dove for soap and Lux for the combined shampoo and shower gel. The were both provided in large refill dispensers, which we didn't mind using. As said earlier, for the price paid, a good value in our opinion.

Room inclusions: Complimentary Internet // when signal was picked up // Breakfast in the so called Great room beside the lobby and the shuttle bus service. We also received 1000 Bonus Priority Club Points during both stays.

Breakfast: A simple affair of basic to good quality with yoghurts, scrambled egg choice, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, bread selection, cereals, croissants, we found it OK and good to start our day the right way.

For the later hours guests can use the Crowne Plaza next door or having a drink in the HIE own small Bar in the Lobby.

Overall: A great stay at very good value for a night at the airport before or after a flight. Great shuttle bus service, friendly and efficient reception and overall friendly employees encountered on both stays so far. We enjoyed the room with unexpected space and good furnishings // bed // bathroom with good pressurized shower, everything was clean and in working order in our room, beside the internet.

Would we recommend the Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport? Yes!
    Would we stay again at the Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport? Yes!

HAPPY TRAVELS!

sobore, sendaiben and tom911 like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to rotate my winter stays for my last night in Dublin among city hotels, with an occasional stay at the Hilton near the airport when they had sale rates. Two years ago I ran into an ice/snow storm that had me wondering if my bus would ever make it to the airport, and since then I've been booking winter stays the night before departure at this Holiday Inn Express. Works out perfectly and avoids the trek in from the City if the weather is bad. Last visit was in February with a 0640 flight out on Aer Lingus to connect to AA at BRU.

Just starting to plot winter travel and suspect I'll be back here a couple times. With the AA winter schedule eliminating DUB service I'm dependent on an early morning Aer Lingus departure now to connect to AA in the U.K. and staying in the City no longer works. Haven't noticed any routings where BRU works in my last couple checks on the AA website.

Nice that they run a full-size bus instead of a van like the Hilton, though the Hilton did have a large Tesco Superstore across the intersection for late night snacks, while the Holiday Inn Express has nothing of the sort.

sobore, sendaiben and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, during the winter time @ Dublin it is better to stay a night near or at the airport. We had a January 2010 flight to London with BMI from Terminal 1 and it snowed overnight plus the roads had been icy. No bus service, no taxi service available from the City Center to the Airport. So we were happy that we had stayed at the Hilton and the driver did really everything to bring us to the airport in a timely manner. Very good service we found and yes, we made it to our flight, but the flight itself was delayed by 2 to 3 hours so far we can remember it.

Regarding the shuttle bus at the Holiday Inn Express, indeed they use a big bus which serve all both hotels incl. the Crowne Plaza in which we also stayed at an earlier time but find the HIE better value overall for a one-night stay. Sometimes when times are slower they had been known to use a small shuttle bus for guests pick-up from the airport too. This smaller bus is usually reserved for flight crews and is rarely used. The "real" big red bus has a lot of space, which we like, while the Hilton has two shuttle bus offerings, a MB Vito which is smaller and another MB bus which is a bit bigger but older. Again no problems here when not entirely full, but had also once so far had to take a Hilton paid taxi to the airport from the hotel because the shuttle bus was full. The same experience we had once with the Crowne Plaza when their shuttle bus // they used the small one they have for crews usually // was full too.

Location wise, indeed the Hilton is further away but it has easy access to some restaurants and Clare Hall shopping center across the street and on the other side it offers one more Supermarket, while the HIE and CP are in the Northwood estate of mostly residential nature and bordering on the Santry Demesne, a nice park with superb greenery when the weather is nice, but no shops there, only we believe a restaurant which we faintly saw nearby.

Overall from our experience we recommend the Holiday Inn Express and the Hilton, these two are our go-to-stay hotels @ Dublin Airport.

sobore and sendaiben like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are some of our impressions from our room at the Holiday Inn Express @ Dublin Airport:

All photos are taken by us during our stay // Flickr account link under each image:

[​IMG]
    Untitled by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAPPY TRAVELS!

sobore likes this.