Holiday Inn City Centre Munich München Germany

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Sweet Willie, Oct 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a stay coming up in a bit at the HI City Centre München.

Does anyone have any nearby (w/in walking) dining recommendations?

Holiday Inn City Centre
    HOCHSTRASSE 3
    MUNICH, 81669
    GERMANY
    Tel: +49-89-48030

uggboy and tommy777 like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did not dine at any Bavarian restaurants near the Holiday Inn City Center. We sure did elsewhere but stopped by the following two places to 'take a break'.

Just down the street, nearly across from the Hilton City Center is Manam (Thai) located at
    Rosenheimer Straße 34
    Tel. 089/458 6789 4
    Rosenheimer Platz (S1-S8, Tram 15, 25)
    Open Monday - Wednesday 9:00 - 19:00, Thursday - Saturday 9:00 - 21:00
    closed on Bank Holidays
    Manam served the best larb/laab that we've ever enjoyed, simply stellar. The restaurant is TINY, 4 small tables, we were lucky enough to snag one but we saw many people taking out, so if you can't get a table, simply get a to-go order and eat back at the room.

In the enclosed walkway from the S Bahn to the Holiday Inn, there are a number of other options for eating, such as:

There is a döner kebab place, which BTW is the #1 fast food in Germany. For those not familiar with döner kebab, think this:
    doner.jpg
    The döner kebab here is good, not great but sure hit the spot for a mid afternoon snack.

There is also an Asian Bistro restaurant next to the döner restaurant/stall, the Asian Bistro stall smelled good & was fairly busy each time we passed by.

The ubiquitous bakery in Munich is Bäckerei Müller which are everywhere. We didn't partake of the location in the walkway but it looked acceptable enough.

We did go into the grocery market called Hit, where we were able to purchase some beer, bread, sliced meats & cheeses for a snack back at our room.

Just around the corner from the Holiday Inn is a Brazilian bar called Ver-O-Peso Bar, which serves a decent (not as good as Rio, but decent) caipirinha (made with cachaça (sugar cane rum)). We apparently drank enough caipirinhas that the bartender gave us some complimentary shots of cachaça. Ver-O-Peso is located at Rosenheimer Str. 14 (cash only !!)

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as our actual stay. As a plat IHG member (RA didn't register with the front desk, sometimes it will at non-IHG properties, most of the time not IMO), we were given a Priority Club floor room, it is an 11 story hotel, the priority club floors are on the 6&7th floors. I have no idea what, if anything, is special about the Priority Club floors. We were also given 1 25% off coupon to the hotel restaurant (good on breakfast, lunch, dinner, or roomservice), as well as 1 free drink coupon (even though there were 2 registered guests). The breakfast is 20€ per person, it is a nice buffet but the price is WAY TOO HIGH IMO for what you get. We used the 25% coupon for a breakfast one morning to cut the cost a bit but again, even at 15€ it is still too pricey. So we simply would grab a roll/pastry & coffee from a local bakery, thus saving some nice coin over our 5 day stay.

They have no king beds so we were on a Queen.

Temps were in the low 30s at night & low 40s in the day, we turned off the heat & opened the windows to get a decent temp in the room as the heat of the room was oppressive (even for Mrs Sweet Willie who likes a warm room). Rosenheimer Straße can be a bit noisy at times so we'd close the windows, the room was fantastically quiet then, they really are high quality windows with good noise proofing, knowing what I know now, I would ask for a room that doesn't face the street.

There is one PC in the lobby which thankfully was rarely in use when we needed it.

There is no concierge in the hotel, the front desk staff is tasked with acting as a concierge if needed. They are ok & friendly about the task but not all the front desk staff speaks English, so if you require English speaking like we do, just be warned. We did utilize the conceirge at the nearby Hilton City Center (they were fantastic).

The location of the hotel is terrific, a 150 yard walk from an entrance to the S Bahn stop Rosenheimer Platz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/München_Rosenheimer_Platz_station
    Rosenheimer Platz is a stop on both the S1 & S8 trains that come from the airport. So nice not have to switch trains or walk far with our luggage. RP is only a quick two stops away from the Marienplatz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marienplatz
    A tip, when getting off the S Bahn at Rosenheimer Platz, do NOT walk towards Rosenheimer Platz but away from it, you will then see signs at the top of the escalator for the Holiday Inn, Novotel, Hit grocery store etc etc, simply follow & you will find the hotel.

edited to add: in conclusion, while I liked the property's location, I didn't feel it was a special hotel at all in terms of perks/benes as a plat, next time I will for sure check out other properties in Munich.

No in room safe, FYI.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    took some pics of the room:
    bedroom.jpg
    bathroom sink.jpg
    shower.jpg
    Lux Soap Shampoo.jpg

Attached Files:

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great review, Sweet Willie. Kind of odd that they put the Priority Club floors smack in the middle of the building, don't you think? In my experience, if hotels have a PC floor, it's at the top. :confused:

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, but come to think of it, I seem to recall a number of properties I've been to where the PC floor isn't the top floor. Not sure the logic.

uggboy likes this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie,

Thanks for posting this - trying to decide between here and the Hilton Munich City this coming weekend! I need one more stay for the bonus points...so I may end up at the HI!

:)

TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.