Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit 22 - Master Thread

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Kalboz, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Went to visit this 29-storey property yesterday. Located at the corner of Sukhumvit 22 and Sukhumvit proper, this hotel lobby is on the 9th floor while its swimming pool is on the 8th. Only 4 floors are open as they are having a soft opening. They refused to allow me on their signature "beak" floor due to safety concerns because it is not finished yet. Was shown instead two types of rooms, both looked nice but on the small side (28SQM & 32SQM). The lounge is not open yet and PC Platinums will get a one-category upgrades at this property. Quite a walk to the nearest elevated light monorail station (BTS) as this property is located somewhere between Phrom Phong & Asok stations, slightly in front of the upcoming Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Photo from Phrom Phong BTS station. Note the SGS in the background.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Deluxe Room (32SQM) amenities​
    [​IMG]
    9th floor lobby bar​
    [​IMG]
    9th floor lobby - the staff is very well dressed with an elegant uniform​

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    looks nice for a Holiday Inn, still, it ain't the SGS. :)

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are very different markets, having said this, the interior looks pretty smart here.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SGS & the Grand Hyatt Erawan are in their own league above the rest, especially if you are in a top elite status at either program. I have not tried the IC Bangkok and with its complicated loyalty program, it does not look like that I will doing so anytime soon! :)

LIH Prem, man on the move. and uggboy like this.
  6. What's complicated about the IC BKK loyalty program. If you have RA status they treat you very well and have set upgrade offerings that generally result in a suite.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fact that they have two sets of membership: one with Platinum as the highest tier, and another that you have to buy into to get an Ambassador status and then get invited to be a RA after certain number of stays. Very similar to the Accor system.

8. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    ambassador was the first frequent guest program, i was in already when HHonors started in 88, i believe? So yes it old, and has a different approach from the rest. But complicated its not. Join, stay lots, get treated better and better... Pan Am used to get free amb, and some automatic RAs, KLM's program used to give Amb for free as well. Plus a few RAs for special people... Not complicated, just not easy...

9. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    i still like silom road... i have had some very cheap rooms there by myself for the weekend. I think it was $29 per night for the old tower, included Breakfast!!!

I have seen the front desk do some great deals for walk ins as well, during low season.

I have also had some great rooms cheap. We had a jr. suite on the executive floor for about $150 per night.

Have stayed about a 12 times, and know my way to some restaurants, etc...

uggboy, Kalboz and LIH Prem like this.
  10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought Marriott was the first hotel loyalty program. Marriott Honored Guest.

-David

uggboy, Kalboz and man on the move. like this.
  11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    according to frequentflier.com, Holiday Inn had the first hotel loyalty program, followed by Marriott Honored Guest.

I don't remember the Holiday Inn program, but I do remember Marriott's original program.

-David

guinnessxyz, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heads up folks ... IHG will have a new PointBreaks list this Monday with this new property included for 5K PC points per night ( less than $30 value)!!! An awesome bargain if you can get a room at this rate.

guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.
  13. MattFS218

MattFS218 Active Member

Status Points:
    This hotel recently opened up an Executive Lounge. First day is today. They moved the lobby to the ground floor, and made the 9th floor an executive lounge. The setup is rather unique as there is now lots of underutilized space on the 9th floor. However, as of now, only those who book an executive level room get access. IHG Plats are not given free access :(.

A nice addition!

guinnessxyz and Kalboz like this.