Holding on to an award reservation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by emtesenair, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read mixed opinions about re-holding an AA award flight online after the 5 day period has expired and I’m curious to hear of others experiences of being able to re-hold an award flight after the 5 days has expired. I’ve read that award space could be recalculated and those 2 spaces I’m holding may not be released back into inventory after my hold expires. So far this has not happened to me!

To put this in a bit more of perspective, I am holding the last 2 business awards available within a 3 day period to my destination, unless I want to fly BA and pay the ridiculous fuel surcharges! I’ve been holding the flight for the past 2 weeks and plan to book next week as part of a larger Explorer award. So far I haven’t had any problems and need to hold the flight another 9 days before I have enough miles to book the 2 awards. Anyone else have experience doing this?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I think you are pushing your luck. If as you say you have been holding them already for two weeks you have been lucky (and a little bit selfish.. just think if everbody else descideds to hold tickets for near a month just waiting for miles to post).

Quit while you are ahead.:)

3. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'll push my luck a bit further. The miles were supposed to post a day after I initially put the flight on hold, but I misjudged. There's no denying it's selfish, but quit when I'm in the home stretch? Your saying you haven't had a selfish moment?

4. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck! I've had a number of instances where I've held onto award seats and saw them disappear from inventory after a hold has expired. I think a lot will depend on how far out the flight is and whether AA is successfully selling any J class seats. Of course, there's also the chance that someone else will grab the seats as soon as your hold has expired.

emtesenair likes this.
  5. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    My biggest concern is it disappearing from inventory. I keep a very close eye on the hold and typically cancel it around midnight the day it expires, immediately putting the flight back on hold.

Glad to hear at least 1 other person has attempted this and I’m not the only selfish one out there! :)

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have also had success in cancelling an award just before expiration and then rebooking it. The reason was that I needed an additional leg to become available (was flying CDG - LHR - LAX and the CDG - LHR leg was not available). However, after a couple of weeks of cancelling and rebooking I gave up and just booked the flights because I was afraid that someone else would grab the flight or AA would not put it back in inventory. Glad I did because the additional leg I needed did not become available for about 6 months.

emtesenair likes this.
  7. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    6 months! Wow! The flight I'm holding is JFK-LHR, not the 77W unfortunately. I am including a CDG-LHR flight, but unlike your situation, there are dozens in inventory for my time frame.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone here can make an accurate blanket prediction as to if cancelled award seats will be released back into award inventory. I'm sure it's up to the specific parameters Revenue Management has established for that flight on that day. People here may be able to make guesses, possibly educated ones based on experience, but a lot is likely to depend on how far out the flight is, what its current load is, and what RM expects to sell on that flight on that day.