Hold out for *A F or cash in for *A C?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by eponymous_coward, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thread asking about this disappeared into the aether on FT, so maybe this will work better.

So, I can goose my US DM account to 90K miles in short order. I'd do this by cashing in about 13K CO miles and 25K AS miles on points.com (I know, I know, points.com, eeeew, but it would cost me no cash to do this, and the award I describe below looks like decent value). Add to 76K US miles, stir, shake, and I believe I could get the following itinerary:

SEA-ICN (overnight stop) in OZ C (their A330 slanty seats)
    ICN-HKG (TG C) 3 days stop, destination
    HKG-BKK-(overnight stop)-FRA(overnight stop) TG C
    FRA-YYZ-ORD-SEA AC C/UA F

This would be during winter, so warmth in HKG/BKK would be appreciated, plus I'd like to try what Anthony Bourdain is doing in his new show, The Layover in ICN.

Or, I could wait for a while and do something kinda sorta like this in F. What I would be waiting for is the ability to buy ~44,000 US miles for $600 or so (since there is no half off US buy miles promo right now :(), or goose my balance with Grand Slam 2011, etc. You know the drill.

Looking at availability, the flights I really wanted in F (like SEA-FRA/FRA-SEA on preferred dates) are starting to evaporate in front of my eyes. So there's a cost to waiting. Now I'm looking at itineraries like:

SEA-LHR in UA F (note, this is a fake direct with a plane change)
    LHR-FRA-ICN in LH C/F (overnight in KIX)
    ICN-HKG in NH C (stay for a few days)
    HKG-ZRH in TG C
    ZRH-ORD-SEA in UA F

Incidentally, there is bupkiss right now in terms of TG/LH/LX F out of BKK (function of my dates, I suppose- people are redeeming F on award to go to places like HKT and DPS).

So, I have a pretty nice bird in my hand- I'm thinking that even though I've experienced the rarefied air of the LH First Class Terminal I can probably do OK in C even if there will be stints in slanty seats (OZ and TG). But I do really LIKE LH F.

So, do I like it $600 enough (I could buy my own Johnny Walker Blue and Dom for that and get a nice meal to boot)? Enough to not get a day in BKK? Enough to basically hope that either a) F inventory shows up or b) F inventory doesn't dry up?

What would you do?

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, since nobody seems to be in any hurry to answer this, I will: I booked the C award. New Year's Eve in Bangkok!

I will now commence Snoopy dancing around the apartment.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good choice IMO, with C saver with *A being tough to come by if I was looking and found one for a destination I wanted, I'd grab it, especially if I was using US miles.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy, even if there's a long flight on slanty seats on BKK-FRA. It's not like it's coach, though. I think I will make it. :)

The ONE thing I dislike about that award is going through ORD. It's like a hellmouth- every time I route through there it seems like something goes terribly wrong. I get into YYZ early enough that if things go pear-shaped I should be able to get out of Dodge somehow, though.