Hold on to your receipts...$25 charge for old bills

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by UADomer08, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was doing some expense modeling for for my FF accounts recently and could not find a receipt for a rental from December of '09. Since Hertz only posts the last 6 months or so of receipts on the website I decided to email Customer Service to request an email of the receipt. After about 8 days, Hertz finally replied with a note that said any receipt between 6-24 months old would require a $25 servicing fee. Any receipts older than 24 months were unavailable. You must mail a check and the details of your request to the customer service group and they will process the request upon receiving the check.

The individual receipt wasn't that important so its certainly not worth the fee. I totally understand processing fees for archived data so I'm not disgruntled about the charge. I figured it it was worth sharing the actual cost/details. If you are the type of person who must keep receipt records for business you may want to take extra care for your Hertz receipts. $25 a pop can get expensive. I've found the easiest method is to have the reciepts emailed to me and I just file them away in a .pst archive (who knows how I lost this one, it drove me nuts for a week!).

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I for one would be disgruntled with this since it is not 1965, and Hertz does not have to have someone run down to the archive and search for the bill.
    With today’s technology and the cheap price of storage, I do not see why this would be a big deal.
    My suspicion is the Hertz infrastructure is antiquated and someone actually is sent to look through the archive!

jackal likes this.
  3. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not, but I would venture to guess that their mainframe admin system was new in 1965!

jackal and sobore like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Storage is cheap if you go down to Fry's or Best Buy and buy an off-the-shelf disk for your laptop or desktop, but it's not nearly as cheap when it comes to traditional enterprise storage. As they probably very, very rarely need access to those older records, it makes sense to me that they'd not keep them online if they have a cheaper alternative available. Whether $25 is their actual cost or merely a charge to discourage those requests is a separate question.

5. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if Hertz were to have the data mirrored three times within each datacenter and mirrored across five different datacenters on mirrored RAID arrays (i.e. data duplicated 30 times), the scant few kilobytes required to save the transaction data multiplied by a year's worth of rental car transactions across the country might (calculated with some very rough numbers) run on the order of $5,000 per year. Even if I'm off by a factor of ten, $50,000 per year in data storage costs for a multi-billion dollar corporation is peanuts.

I'm guessing sobore is closer to the truth--the infrastructure is antiquated. I would not be surprised at all to believe little has changed since 1965.

6. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this is how Hertz treats its customers in the USA!!?? Absolutely terrible!
    Here in Norway, and at any location, we can punch in your name and get all of your rental history and email it simple as that. No big deal! Yes once I emailed over 20 rental agreements to a customer, but he was very grateful and still is a loyal and happy customer.
    On behalf of Hertz Norway,....I'm ashamed of how the US does its business.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks OP. I rely on the Request a Receipt function on Hertz.com to complete my expense reports, so pdf''s of each receipt wind up being stored with my electronic expense reports and in my on-line storage. Of course, it that fails and I need to pull up a really old receipt, I suppose I will be coughing up $25 too!