Hold AA Reservations/Fare for 7 days for $5 fee

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Titans26, Sep 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was booking a mileage run BOS-LAX-PHX for $260.00 ai. When I clicked the hold feature a pop up asked would I like to guarantee/hold the fare for 7 days for $5.00. Sort of like CO FareLock. I clicked yes and entered my cc info.

miles and smiles and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They've been testing that hold out for quite awhile at different price points. I think its been about 8 months? The idea was to test the market and see what consumers would be willing to pay for an extended hold.

The last time it was offered to me it was also $5. I don't bump into it much since I travel on international itineraries most often and the hold seems to be only for domestic flights.

It seems like a good idea as long as it doesn't replace the current free hold.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely a fan of this if it gets implemented and would use it occasionally, however, the 24 hour hold is usually more than enough.

DestinationDavid, I believe airlines must have a mandatory 24 hour hold with the new law and I believe it must be a free hold.

"Airlines will be required to hold flight reservations for 24 hours at the quoted fare price if the reservations are made at least a week before takeoff."
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...ags-bumped-flights-government-says/46299524/1

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe that airlines also have the option of allowing customers to cancel reservations within 24 hours of booking in lieu of offering the hold, so the hold is not secured at all.

LINK. Page 204:

Allowing reservations to be held at the quoted fare without payment, or cancelled without penalty, for at least twenty-four hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight’s departure

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds right to me.