Hodiho! The KL M-fiasco now bites!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    So no UG on KL M-tix with DL PMUs. Nice dead of the night move, classic SM management philosophy. It's interesting to see how outraged people are because they bought M-class tix on KL expecting to be able to use an UG instrument at some point, perhaps when Z opened up and they could find one of the two SMS agents who actually want to help customers redeem.

Remember, DL's SM T&C are "subject to change without notice." They use this phrase regularly now.

Why would anyone trust anything in the SM program at this point? Why is it really worth anything?

You DL loyalists are winding yourselves into a real frenzy over this. Your disappointments are only just picking up speed. 635k from PHL to FCO, not all of which was in J - is a bargain compared with what Jeff is doing for you now.

DiverDave and viguera like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Inflammatory, although not unwarranted and not what I was wondering about... I just wanna know the story behind that 635k figure. Is that for real? :)

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had not already written off PMUs I would be more worked up. As it is we'll see how this ends.

As i've said before, the phl-fco story does not enhance your message at all...

What has me on higher alert than the PMU issue are several stealth improvements to redemption costs. We know that DL has no interest in reducing customer costs, and certainly not without announcement, so such changes pose the question of when the other shoe will drop.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes, if you mean "Did Delta officially present a 635k SM option for redemption for one pax from PHL to FCO, not all of which was in J, on their platform DL.COM?"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...d-record-even-dl-sm-best-class-alright-6.html

See the screenshot. It was an amount presented by DL.COM during a search for PHL-FCO redemptions in 2010. This clearly showed that DL had no intention of honoring any correspondence between SM redemption demands and published award levels. What was more disturbing than the appearance of this figure was the response by DL loyalists, saying, oh, just a "glitch" - see how SM now offers an almost infinite number of "glitches" according to this reducing but vocal group of people - or in other ways excusing the lack of official response to correct the demands to amounts that correspond with Jeff's "three-tier" table.

I have not seen even a DL loyalist manage to break this figure down and "justify" it according to the published tables. Evidently because, they can't.

Several people posted stating they'd seen even higher mileage demands for some itins.

Point being, a company that so brazenly violated its own published award requirements, and presented this brass-necked demand on their own website without ever acknowledging it, or taking steps to correct it, is clearly operating the program as it sees fit and has no compunction about doing what you're now experiencing: no-notice elimination of M-bucket upgrades for PMU holders, among numerous other things.

They don't believe even their own "rules" apply.

As for matt, PHL to FCO was, and is, core to the message. Which is, trust SM and its published T&C at your peril. DL flagged this practice years ago with acts such as the redemption shown. Why be surprised when they treat all other T&C with the same cavalier disregard?

Over time, fewer and fewer people place any confidence in SM.

Several of my harshest critics - former DL loyalists - from that very thread over at FT have subsequently apologized privately for their responses to that post. Amusingly, a few others continue to defend DL although by this point it's quite clear most of them are DL employees enjoying their NRSA bounty.

viguera likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could the OP clarify his/her feelings about Delta for us. ;)

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the explanation... I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so outlandish for an award that wasn't RTW :)

SM and I parted ways a while back, after I realized how outrageously bad redemptions were. I've continued to use them every now and then, but only when I have no reasonable alternative, or when *not* using them would be financially unsound. Being based out of NYC I have quite a few options, and all things being equal I'll give my business to AA or Jetblue on the same routes I would otherwise use Delta for, because it wouldn't do me any good to have a huge stash of Skymiles.

I'm glad to see that my decision to give my business to other airlines was actually a sound one.

DiverDave and redtailshark like this.
  7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    With pleasure :) And I don't even have to use my own words to do this.

DL SM is...*drum roll, picture Jeff's cartoonized face popping out of the Java applet and swelling across your screen*

[​IMG] BEST IN CLASS [​IMG]

8. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I compared DL and UN PHL-FCO for Dec 4-Dec 11. Here are my findings, I will try a few more dates:
    United:
    image001.png
    image003.jpg

Delta
    image005.jpg

I wish I wanted to go in December. How cold is it in Rome then?

9. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Average high 55; average low 37.

Traveller likes this.