HNL Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rodeojones, Aug 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I fly HNL-PDX tomorrow morning after catching an inter island flight from LIH. Little did I know when booking that HNL was so large and required the wiki wiki bus to move between terminals. I also did not know about the agriculture screening line. All that to say that I only left 60 minutes to catch our mainland flight and am slightly stressed.

Any advice from those familiar with HNL?

Our details. Arrive to HNL on HA at 1001.
    HNL- PDX at 1105 on AS.

Thanks from sunny Kauai.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that's going to be a bit tight. Is it a single ticket or two? And do you have checked bags?

You don't have to take the shuttle if you are willing to hoof it through the airport. Probably a 15 minute walk at most to get from the inter-island area to the AS check in area. And I'm pretty sure AS has check-in closer to the inter-island terminal than not.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 on what Seth said... I walked from the main entrance to the far US gates (30s) and it's a walk but you don't need to take the bus.

And there's usually A LOT of agricultural inspection stations available, and the process is really quick so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Although it will be tight, and any hiccup can throw a monkey wrench into your plans.

4. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I with carry ons only.

5. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on what you and Seth say, do you think it's quicker to walk? And do we head to the AS gates to find the ag check station or when we get off the inter island flight?

Thanks for the help all.

6. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am assuming you are checking your bags thru to LIH.
    Take the free Wiki Wiki Bus if you're coming in on United as their gates are far away.
    Otherwise walking or the bus will take the same amount of time.
    Agricultural screening is on outbound flights only so you won't have to worry about it on arrival.
    You'll be given an agricultural form on the inbound flight. Just make sure you don't have any of the restricted items.
    One hour is a lot of time either way.
    But don't delay getting to your Hawaiian flight as they do board early and sometimes have the doors closed before flight time.
    If you get any delays to your flights just call Hawaiian as they are very accommodating with flights to Kauai approx. every 30 minutes.

viguera likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience it's quicker to walk, but like I said we were flying US and the check-in counters (next to AA I believe) had the inspection stations outside -- seriously, like pretty much curbside before you get to the check-in counters / kiosks.

8. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    When returning you can do Ag on Kauai and check your bags straight through.
    You can walk or bus to the main terminal from Hawaiian and check in at the gate.

9. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am coming home so this is an outbound flight. Carry ons only and hustling from HA gate to AS gate in 60 mins. Oi..

10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to exit security and as long as the interisland flight is on time you will be fine.

-David

11. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 on walking vs taking the Wiki Wiki. We did a HA to AS transfer last Feb and it was painless. The walk between areas was not even memorable, I've had much longer ones just getting from one gate to another in other airports. We took an flight with plenty of time and ended up sitting in the JAL Sakura lounge (which allows Priority Pass access).

viguera likes this.
  12. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the help. As many predicted, it was hardly memorable. Took us 10 minutes to clear agriculture and make it to gate 14 (AS) by walking. Ironically, general boarding began 30 minutes before takeoff so our actual time at the gate was quite short.

Regardless...i'm home.

Thanks all and time to plan the next trip.