HNL adds PreCheck on 10/23

Discussion in 'HNL/KOA/OGG/LIH/MKK/LNY | Hawaii Regional Airports' started by HiIslands, Oct 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976, infamousdx and kansaskeith like this.
  2. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    interesting. esp since Hawaii is a resort destination bt oh well. Good to know TSA trying to act like they are working when not stealing stuff or molesting older folks.

garyst16 likes this.
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our airports link our islands in a kind of "intra-state freeway" system. It's essential for those of us who live and do business here to be able to commute to neighbor islands as quickly and easily as possible. Pre-check will help make our lives easier. I am glad TSA recognizes this need.

LIH Prem likes this.
  4. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are all airlines participating?

5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question; I will try to get a list of participating airlines for you.

6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still no place to add GOES IDs, etc on Hawaiian's site as far as I can tell.

-David

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only five airlines are participating so far: The big three, United, Delta and American, plus US Airways and Alaska. Southwest isn't in it yet and neither is JetBlue. Hawaiian has asked to join but TSA says it's focusing on the bigger carriers for the nonce.

8. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's silly ... what's the point of being at HNL without participation by Hawaiian Airlines?

Where was that posted? Time to start "letter writing".

-David

10. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    This information is from Howard Dicus, a well-respected Hawaii business reporter. I meant to list the source in my post, but somehow left it out. Here's the source article:

10/21/2012
    TSA pre-screening arrives in Hawaii this week

http://blogs.hawaiinewsnow.com/howard/

LIH Prem likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    HiIslands likes this.
  12. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: I was at HNL this week for an international flight on UA. Pre-check at the United/Delta TSA post was no where in evidence. The gold lane line was so long that I waited over 30 minutes.

So much for the implementation of PreCheck at HNL.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I asked when I was going through last night. The PRE lane is at Security Checkpoint 3 which is between check-in lobbies 5 & 6. In other words, horribly inconvenient for everyone. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

HiIslands likes this.
  14. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    It makes me wonder what their intention is. And who made this decision. Sigh.

15. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't currently work for international flights anyway.

Still waiting for my first opportunity to use it anywhere.

-David

16. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    i didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today, I had already cleared the agent who checked IDs in the Gold Lane when I noticed that HNL has now implemented Pre-Check. Because there were a lot people ahead of me even in the Gold Lane, and I still had a lot of time before boarding my UA flight to SFO I decided to check out Pre-check for the first time. I turned around and asked the agent I just cleared if I could get back out and go to use the TS-Pre lane. She told me sure, no problem, go to checkpoint #3. As has been mentioned, the first thing I noted was that checkpoint #3 was quite remote from the main UA check in area. Got there and saw the Pre lane; there was no one but the TSA agent. I gave him my BP; he scanned it and it did not beep three times. So he asked me if I had registered for the program, I said I might have been one of the first to register and that I have GE and NEXUS. He scanned the BP again; no cigar. So, he sent me back to the UA counter to get a BP that's approved for Pre. At the UA desk, I was told that they had nothing to do with that. I went back to the TSA post and spoke with the 'supervisor', who asked me how I knew I was registered. I told him how -- through UA. He told me that because I registered so long ago without using the system it might have "forgotten" me, so he suggested that I register again, and I did right there at the HNL.

Needless to say, my first attempt at Pre failed. My question is, how many people have used the Pre system and have it succeed on first try? For me, this was utterly frustrating...

18. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I finally got to use it 2x this week and it worked fine at ORD and LAX.

With United, make sure your traveler information in each reservation exactly matches your GOES ID info.

-David

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The BP does contain the flag as to whether you will be able to use the PRE line or not. It is one of the many fields of data encoded in the bar code. As a general rule, once your BP is "flagged" one way or the other it doesn't change, no matter how many times you print the BP or whether you print at a kiosk, online or use a mobile BP.

canucklehead likes this.
  20. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:

I used PreCheck at ORD successfully on the first try, but have not used it at HNL because it is so inconvenient to access for UA pax.

It seems as if they implemented it at HNL in the easiest way possible for TSA, not in any way the best for the pax of the biggest carriers in and out of HNL.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this behavior on a trip-by-trip basis, or does this mean that I have been "flagged" as ineligible for Pre henceforth? The TSA folks at HNL did not seem to know much about the system (hence the request that I get another boarding pass), but in general I find the whole system to be quite "ad hoc" and a mess...

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Trip-by-trip.

Also note that most international itineraries are not eligible, so that may limit you more depending on your travel patterns.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is little one can do about security check on the way back from overseas destinations (the US government insists on thorough checks!), but it would be great to just avoid dealing with it on the way out. Therefore, I think that this will be useful when Pre-Check lanes are brought to JFK and LGA.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Itineraries involving overseas trips will not have PRE access, either on the inbound or the outbound. Obviously the foreign checkpoints aren't going to set up PRE; my point is that the departure ex-USA also won't have access. Much as we may wish otherwise. Even clearing at the US gateway after the last long-haul flight (i.e. EWR-ORD following GVA-EWR) won't have access.

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that really sucks if it does not matter that all of my intl flights out of LGA or JFK will be to a domestic hub city...but it sort of makes sense because there won't be any other chance to check such passengers until they reach another sovereign country, which could be in jeopardy as a result...