HND - NRT tranfer options

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GrizzManFromJapan, May 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. GrizzManFromJapan

GrizzManFromJapan Active Member

Status Points:
    If I arrive at HND and have a departure from NRT what are the procedures for getting between airports. Does the airline provide transportation? Is there a cost? How much time is needed for this. I have options with connect times from 2 hr 10 mins (best for later connection in US) or up to 6 hr 10 mins. Any info on this would be great. Thanks to all.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best (and most expensive).. train takes about 90 mins if properly timed since you have to back track into the city.
    Cheapest airport bus (I believe there is an express version) but you are subject to traffic which can be pretty bad anytime after noon, unlike the train.
    No the airlines will not provide the transportation and I would NOT attempt to do this in under 3 hours, 2hrs 10 is a recipe for disaster.

Dublin_rfk and Garp74 like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not the 2:10 option. I'd be surprised if that meets the MCT.

I like the bus; about 3000 yen and no way to miss a connection or transfer. Traffic can be bad but I've been lucky on that front. The only reason I'd take the train is if I was going to stop in Narita town along the way and visit the shrine/temple there, but I think the 6 hour connection would be too tight for that.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  4. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two minutes with Google Maps would go a long way towards answering your questions. Plug in HND and NRT as your endpoints and compare bus service to train service. Keep in mind that trains should keep near-perfect schedules, while buses are subject to traffic.

5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bus from Haneda to Shinagawa train station (15/20 mins).

Narita express train from there (non stop, fast, clean, comfortable)

I do this about three times a month.

Seth's suggestion on the Airport Limousine Bus is also solid but
    It is subject to traffic conditions

Wandering Aramean and Garp74 like this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done this a few times and I always take the bus. It's easy. Just get on and wait until it gets to your terminal on the other end. I've yet to be on a full bus in either direction too and nobody wants to go and sit next to the tall foreigner. I've never booked this with an actual same day short connection (usually 8+ hours between flights) but it has taken anywhere from 1 hour to 2.5 hours depending on traffic conditions. Definitely worth it though for peace of mind if your connection is long enough. No navigating train stations or dealing with hauling baggage. Just make sure that you buy your tickets for the proper terminal and that your bags are tagged for that terminal and you'll be good.

Garp74 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll second Skyvan's post. Easier for me to just take the bus, provided I'm not stressed about a tight connection. On the other hand, I prefer riding trains to buses in general, so sometimes just like to mix it up. Or if I have a lot of time to kill, then definitely take the train into Tokyo someplace and spend some time before getting another train to the opposite airport.

8. GrizzManFromJapan

GrizzManFromJapan Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to everyone for the info. It was pretty much what I expected but it did make me decide to not get a connection with less than about 3hr 30min connection time. Once again thanks to all.

Garp74 and Wandering Aramean like this.