HND-can I stay in transit area without ongoing flight?

Discussion in 'NRT/HND/KIX/ITM/CTS/FUK | Japan Regional Airports' started by estnet, Apr 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    i arrive quite late and wonder if hnd requires recheck through security with onward boarding pass like nrt. id like to hang out at the ap rather than pay for a hotel for 6 hours

2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    At Narita, you can pass from the arrivals area to the departure area without going through customs and immigration if you have a connecting flight. You need to show a printed copy of your itinerary. Never done the same at Haneda, but my guess is that it is likely to be the same there.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I didn't see any way to do this - everyone was herded to immigration:rolleyes: OTOH - there were very comfortable places to lay down outside immigration which was a welcome relief.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a small transit desk at Haneda but you must show a valid onward BP to get through. You also clear a security screening at that point and then get in to an elevator and go up to the departures level. There is a ticket counter at the transit area so passengers without an onward BP can receive one from their carrier.

My recollection is that the transit counter was just off to the right (assuming you are facing in to immigration) of the main immigration area on the hallway connecting all the gates.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    i must have missed the transit desk, but in any case didn't have an onward flight. IMHO even when there is a transit area most airports (like the ones mentioned in Japan) do require an onward bp to stay in the area. US airports don't have ANY provision for transit with going through immigration:(, but SIN doesn't require you to go through immigration immediately so when I arrive at 1am and don't want to leave I can snooze a bit, or see a free movie and then go to my hotel:p

Wandering Aramean likes this.