HKG-NRT-SFO on Club ANA

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by yamanote, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yamanote

yamanote Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello!

This is probably going to end up as a mini travelog, but I have some questions for the time being.

I'm traveling on NH912 and NH8 tomorrow (Aug 5, HKG-NRT-SFO).

If I'm not mistaken 912 uses a 763 with the 'Business-II' seating and 8 uses a 773 with 'ANA Business'.

What are the seats like? A bit bummed that I won't be able to try out the Staggered seats but this should do... just wondering how it compares to CX's herringbone business seats and JAL's (not-very-good imo) Skyluxe seats.

Also, I'm in 8A on the HKG-NRT leg and 10A on the SFO leg. The website says I can change the seats at check-in if there are seats available, anything wrong with the seats I've chosen atm?
    I see two 763s listed on seatguru but neither match up to the seat map on the ANA reservation details site.

2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    The seats will basically be similar to JAL seats. They are ho-hum by market standards. ANA makes up for this with good catering, IFE and service.

The Business-II seat is a recliner which doesn't even go close to flat. It's what you would have expected from an international business class seat about ten years ago. Perfectly fine for lounging, though. The center D seats are "thrones" with an aisle on each side, so if you snag one you will have no neighbor to climb over, as well as a nice little luggage locker next to you (kind of like the upper deck of a 747).

The NRT-SFO seat will be more like what you would have expected from an international business class seat about five years ago. It goes "operating table flat," i.e. flat but at an angle to the floor. I sleep on it just fine as if it were a bed, but others have problems (it helps to sleep on your side).

There aren't many "good" or "bad" seats on ANA in comparison to other airlines I've flown. For the transpac you might want to get into the very front or very rear of the cabin, since these rows are in smaller mini-cabins on either end of the biz cabin. The biz cabin on ANA takes up basically half of the 777-300, and the center section of it is huge, so it doesn't feel private at all.

yamanote likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in the first seat a few months ago going NRT-HKG on NH 911. It's a recliner. Better than USA domestic F but no great shakes (I would have probably passed out in a real lie-flat because I was going on 24 hours of no sleep, since I didn't sleep well on the UA F flight over, but those seats weren't comfy for sleeping). Just looking at the pictures of the Skyluxe seats... looks pretty similar to me.

yamanote likes this.
  4. yamanote

yamanote Active Member

Status Points:
    I was worried about the NRT-SFO seat b/c that's when I'll probably try to rest (wasn't really able to on the JAL Skyluxe seats).

As long as it's somewhere near flat then it should be just fine.

Not expecting too much from the Business-II seats. Are there power sockets?

Thanks!

5. yamanote

yamanote Active Member

Status Points:
    Sitting in the ANA lounge at Narita right now. No power sockets. The seats were more comfortable than I thought it would be. Certainly better than JAL's Skyluxe product.

I didn't choose the center seat because I was traveling with a companion but if it were just me that would definitely be the seat I choose.

Thanks for all the information!

joejones likes this.