HKG - JW/SkyCity questions

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by mwg25, Jul 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, all - I'm a SPG person working on booking travel for my parents using their huge stash of Marriott points, so I am learning on my feet. :)

They are going to be in HKG for two nights - a Thursday night and a Sunday night. On the intervening two days they are taking the ferry to Macau and staying with friends. There is plenty of points availability at all the HKG Marriotts, but my mother says that she "wants to stay at the same place both nights so she can leave most of her luggage there for the two days she's gone and not have to haul it on the ferry." This becomes a problem because they want to stay at the JW on Thursday since it's in a more exciting location but have a super-early flight on Monday, making the airport hotel a better choice.

Do places actually do that - hold your bags for you for multiple days when you're not actually staying at the hotel? Please enlighten me so that I can tell my mother whether she is or isn't going nuts...

And also, it is absolutely crazy to think about getting to the airport for an early morning flight from any property other than the SkyCity (airport)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

cheepneezy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just how early is the flight and what are the details? (class of service, status. sounds like they must check bags). Would it be possible for them to check in and drop their checked bags the evening before their flight? If so, having a hotel very close to the Airport Express train station (which has check in counters, I'm not suggesting that they go to the airport early for this) would enable them to go over easily to check in and check bags, so that in the morning they just go to the airport with carry on and at the airport, proceed directly to passport control and security, It's a nice system but I'm not sure about the bag drop the evening before, especially is flights to the USA and/or a USA carrier are involved.

3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, hotels will actually do this for you. On 2 separate occasions in HK, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Shatin and Hyatt Regency TST, they gladly kept my bags when I checked out and went to Shenzhen and I wasn't even returning to stay at the hotels.

Your mother is correct, it would be more convenient to stay at the same place for both nights. It is really a hassle to have to haul bags on the ferry (been there done that).

4. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a flight from HKG to BKK and they will be on TG C, though they have no status. I didn't know that there were check-in counters at the Airport Express train station - that could be SUPER helpful. I think the flight is around 7 AM.

cheepneezy likes this.
  5. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems from the website that you have to check in >90 mins before your flight, on the same day. :(
    Now THIS could be great.
    Well, they won't want to stay both nights at the airport hotel because they want to be where the action is on the first night, but I hope it wouldn't be total insanity trying to haul out to the airport from the JW at a really early hour...

cheepneezy likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would rather haul bags from the JW to the airport rather than haul bags through the ferry terminal. If your parents take their bags to Macau and back, they need to haul them through check-in, immigration, and depending on where their ferry is berthed, it could be a very long walk from the immigration to the gate, and the ferry terminal is always packed.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they want to use the Airport Express check in counters, they should have their hotel concierge check on the check in and bag drop cutoff times, which are earlier than at the airport as well as checking on when the Thai counter will be open at the station they're using. I don't know the hours of operation for the Airport Express trains.

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    some airlines do permit check-in up to one day in advance...

see the list on the link below, those highlighted in red have "day before" check-in service and TG is one of them :)

http://www.mtr.com.hk/chi/airport_express/images/itci.pdf

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't spend two nights at the Sky City Marriott, as convenient as it is for the airport it's not near anything else. I'm burning a Marriott stay 2 get 1 free night there myself after an 11pm HKG arrival followed by a morning flight back to the US the next day. Figured it wasn't worth the drive into the city only to turn around hours later. It'll be a huge comedown from a 1200 sq ft suite at the Conrad Bangkok and an ocean villa w/ pool at the Conrad Koh Samui ;)

10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the Sky City Marriott is near nothing other than the airport, considering they are going to Macau in between, it is convenient if they take the ferry from the airport round-trip to Macau. The only thing it's not convenient for is the daily activities in the city but how often do you go back to your hotel during the day anyway?

11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the airport's Skypier for transit passengers only? I don't think it is accessible to non-transit passengers.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree, I don't know how you'd reach it without departing HKG? It's through security and passport control.

13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    My bad, I didn't realize it wasn't accessible to those not transferring from an inbound flight.

14. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, all! Ended up going with the JW for both nights. I confirmed that they could leave luggage there in between stays. They will have to wake up at around 5 am to get to the airport in time for their flight, but it is clearly not the end of the world.

cheepneezy likes this.