HKG/ICN Biz vs coach + plane type

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by dhammer53, Aug 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're flying HKG/ICN using Avios points.

CX uses a variety of aircraft on the route.

Upfront, my choices are:

A330 redeye layflat
    A340

Coach choices:

A330
    A340

Which aircraft is best upfront, and which is best coach? Flight time 3.5 hours.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    seatguru.com

I think with Flight time of 3.5 hours ... i would choose Y in the time that makes the most sense for you.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine taking a 3.5 hour redeye would be remotely worth it, even for lie-flats, if you have an alternative in the daytime, unless you're pressed for time/want to save on a night's hotel room.

777 isn't descriptive because CX has multiple 777 types (772/773/77W, both with F and without), and does a fair amount of swapping. Their intra-Asia C is comparable to a USA carrier's F: added pitch and on some planes, seatback IFE, on some, ancient IFE, on some, none at all. Depending on how much you value early boarding/lounge access/added pitch/better booze in flight, you might value 10K Avios more or less than just settling for Y. I'd probably be on the fence.

4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm aware of seatguru ;).

I did read about the various 777 product offered by CX. Seems like Asia regional is a distant cousin vs longhaul. I'll probably do coach. It's a short ride. Thanks.