HKG (Hong Kong) - Need Hotel recommendation for 1 Night

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Travelman, Jun 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will arrive at 8pm on a Sunday night after a 15+hr CX flight and will be leaving on Monday afternoon at 15:50 from the airport.

Would be interested in people's thoughts / suggestions for this one night stay given the arrival/departure times and the length of flying East to West before arrival.

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Price Range?
    Need proximity to any particular place/office/restaurant/whatever?
    By yourself or with others?
    Any particular hotel points/affinity programs?
    Any area you generally stay in and so want to test out another?
    There are millions of options that are great.

3. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travelsig,
    * Travelling with Spouse
    * No particular Hotel points/affinity programs
    * Have only been in HK once about 20yrs ago for about 2 days
    * Price range approx 150US or less (can consider more)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have hotel points to use HK is a great place to do it- as hotels can be a touch pricey. I would look for something on the route of the airport express. HK is a wonderful city and has changed a LOT in 20 years. One hotel I can suggest which sometimes has good value rates is the Hotel Nikko in Kowloon. If you have points to use check out the IC (which is a real 5*: formerly the Regent), the W (on top of the airport express station), the Sheraton Towers. More than 150 USD but the Shangri-La Kowloon is also a nice hotel. If you want to stay at the airport (a real shame) there is a Marriott fairly close by that should run 150 USD or less- clean and new and has a shuttle bus to/from the airport. The airport express makes getting in/out of HKG a breeze and it costs HKD 100 per person.

The Royal Pacific Hotel and towers has a free bus to/from the Kowloon airport express station, has a great location, tiny rooms, but should be ~$150 USD unless there is a big trade show on.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I would keep in mind is it is unlikely that after 15+ hours you are going to feel like taking public transport to your hotel.

We did SFO-HKG last month, did the lunchtime departure, and by time we arrived in HKG we were absolutely exhausted as we had not slept at all despite being in First. We had arrange for a driver to pick us up and considered it money well spent.

Our last two trips we have stayed at the Grand Hyatt and the W. Our last trip was only a 2 day stopover and we actually found the W to be inconveniently located as we like to walk.

If you do have the points I think the IC or Hyatt are better located than the W. I didn't think it was possible to even find hotel for less than $150 US so I have learnt something tonight.

6. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for mentioning that despite being in First you didn't get much sleep .. we will also be in First and have another flight before the 15+hr flight so we will have been travelling for a good amount of time at that point.

7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airport express is not at all stressful, at least not to me. It is also efficient and very likely faster than a taxi -- when it parallels the expressway to the airport, you can see cars going slower. Hyatt Tsim Sha Tsui and Sha Tin are both less expensive than Grand Hyatt. Hyatt TST is close to the airport express Kowloon stop.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    For one person, I'd schlep bags to Airport Express. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did on my recent trip (and I also has a lot of flying prior to arrival in HKG, and poor sleep).

Two people (like a married couple) changes the equation a bit, in favor of the taxi. ;)

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What great timing, I have to find a hotel for a 1 night HKG stay as well. Looking at the IC, the rates are very high, but going with points could be a great alternative.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would highly recommend the W. The convenience to the airport express train is very valuable. In fact, the next day you can even take your bag to be checked over to the station as early as you wish, check in and get boarding passes, and then return to the hotel to check out as late as possible (4 pm if SPG elite). It's expensive but worth it. There's a lively scene in the hotel, including a heated pool on the roof with great views, or you can find a variety of food choices at all price points in the attached upscale shopping mall--also good for gift purchases. Not taking a taxi of shuttle to/from the airport express and not staying in Central saves a nontrivial amount of time on both ends.

However, if you want to walk around more and get the atmosphere of Hong Kong, I would suggest the IC, Sheraton, or something nearby. The Peninsula is great but might be a waste for just one night when you're arriving late. There are more modest hotels on back and side streets in this area, but I don't know the quality or if there would be late night safety issues. From here, it's an easy walk to the Walk of Stars (waterfront promenade) and the Star Ferry, which should not be missed if you've never done it. The shuttle service to/from the airport express train seems to cover most of the major big hotels, but you might need to wait 20 minutes or more for it. Taxis are pretty cheap if you don't get caught in traffic and aren't forced to take a long detour due to traffic patterns and construction projects. However, a taxi to/from the airport or car service is quite expensive in Hong Kong and seems unnecessary.

11. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree with MSPeconomist. The W for sure considering a short stay. Takes you right from the airport to the hotel without getting off the train. On your return you can check your luggage before you get on the train and be luggage free until your final destination.

12. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you want to see all the crowd - Causeway Bay - I think for $150, you can stay at the Excelsior (part of Mandarin Oriental Group). Take the Airport Express - then take the Shuttle to the hotel (shuttle is free). The Excelsior is very convenient (IMHO).

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I love the W but remember that the W can cost about US$400 per night for their cheapest rooms. Unless you can do cash and points or have SPG elite status (and thus can benefit from an upgrade and guaranteed late check out), many would not consider this to be worth it.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  14. tpmgpeds

tpmgpeds Active Member

Status Points:
    We always stay at The Salisbury and will be there again in November. Don't be thrown off by the YMCA in the name as the Y's in Asia are vastly different animals than those in the US. The best thing about is it is that it is on the Kowloon harborfront so the harborview rooms have an unobstructed view of the harbor and laserlight show at night. You have the exact same view as the Peninsula next door. The quality of the rooms is like Hilton Garden or Four Points. Nothing fancy but very livable. Prices are plainly listed on the website.

As you can see from the map they are next door to the Peninsula and even closer than it to the ferry and bus terminal. I remember waving across to big wig on his deck in the Peninsula suite last time and thinking I got the same view for hundreds of dollars less! Did I already say the view is to die for?

http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/e_location.htm

Attached Files:

15. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the waiting is that bad from the train station. I asked and they told me departures were every 12 minutes and well coordinated with train arrival times (which is also every 12 minutes). The last time around I only had to wait about 3 minutes or so.

Waiting at the hotel going to the station is a different story though. You are right it can take about 20 minutes, especially if the traffic is bad.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I waited less than 5 minutes. Departures are a minimum of every 12 minutes and sometimes are every 6 if there is peak travel in Hong Kong (i.e. big trade show).

17. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the Excelsior is a horrible place. I stayed there once, as I was fooled by the fact that they are owned by MO group.
    I have stayed many times at the other two "real" MO's in HKG.

I'd also recommend the InterConti (ex Regent) or even the Conrad witht the spectacular view from the Exec lounge.

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have a couple of one-night Hong Kong stays coming up myself.

One I'll be arriving ~ 11pm and departing 12 hours later, I'll really just be sleeping. So I'm going to grab a room at the Sky City Marriott. I'm not a Marriott guy, but I registered for the stay 2 get a free night promo, I had one paid Marriott stay earlier in the month and then I booked a one-night stay for my in-laws (in their name, but wihile logged into my account) and somehow the stay posted to my account... free night at a cat 1-4 hotel... and Sky CIty Marriott is cat 4. So one free night, I'll burn it here, convenient airport hotel with free shuttle.

The second one I'll be arriving at 2pm and departing next day at 11am. So 21 hours, I figure I want to go into HKG. And I'm a bit torn on where to stay.

1) Considering a straight award stay at the Intercontinetnal Grand Stanford. They'll upgrade Royal Ambassadors from the base room to harbour view. So a decent enough use of points. [IC Hong Kong basically disavows elite benefits on poins stays entirely. :( ]

2) Considering a free Hyatt suite night for the Grand Hyatt, though I kinda hate to waste it on a one-night stay. Still, I'm considering it, Diamond at the Grand Hyatt confirmed in a suite is pretty good :)

3) Conrad, as a DIamond, on a points stay, I probably won't go with this option.

In the past I've stayed at the W, which when I was SPG Plat I got a really cool suite, I love the design of this hotel. But while I did have a harbour view it's not the archtypical HKG Harbor view, jsut a view of the working part of the harbour. And since I no longer have the status for the amazingly cool suite I'll give this one a miss. Though I do consider the W pretty convenient, contra other opinions above. It's pretty close to the airport and good public transit access. But not convenient for walking around to as much as other properties will be.

I've also stayed at the Sheraton. They don't upgrade from the regular hotel to the Towers section, but it's a great redemption value to spend a few more points for the Towers section on an award. And then they'll upgrade SPG Plats once inside the Towers to either a harbour view or to a suite (to me the view is more valuable). Towers guests get complimentary room service and/or lounge breakfast. I'm a sucker for free coffee delivered to my room in the morning. :) Without SPG Platinum I won't consider it currently either.

Point being my longer one-night stay I'll either do Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental Grand Stanford most likely.

19. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gleff, re Grand Hyatt do you know if this hotel can be booked with free night certificates from the Hyatt Credit card offer?

20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't it be? (that's actually what i'm talking about using, free suite nights from the credit card which is what i got as a diamond)

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're just looking for cheap and functional I'm a big fan of the "Mingle" brand. They're a local chain with a handful of properties all near Central, maybe a 10-15 minute walk from the train station. I stayed at Mingle on the Eden my last time through and the room certainly wasn't special but it was clean and only $80/night and in a great location. The Mingle on the Wing property is nearby as well. Both are generally available at hotels.com or wotif.com for booking.

22. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you have enough lead time for this ...

Get the Hyatt Visa credit card from Chase. That will get you 2 free nights at any Hyatt. Then use 1 free night at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong.

You can take the Airport Express (the best airport express train/airport integration in the world) to Honk Kong Station and a taxi from there to the hotel. With the wife, I imagine the taxi from the airport express station to the hotel is your best bet however if you want to save $$$ and only have carry-on, you can also take the free Airport Express shuttle bus to the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel which shares an entrance with the Grand Hyatt. (look for the door marked Hyatt in the driveway, and take the elevator down one level to the main hotel lobby.)

I'm a huge fan of public transportation and it doesn't get any better than the Hong Kong MTR Airport Express. Including every detail. On the way back, you can do in-town checkin using the Airport Express as well. Even with bags, the HKG Airport Express is very easy.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_around/airport_express_index.html

Between all of us, we managed to get you into a great HKG hotel, at 50% less than your budget, which was fairly low for Hong Kong. :)

-David

23. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what did you decide to do in the end Travelman?

25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a single person who doesn't mind something small, sure (I stayed there, based on your recommendation, don't disagree). For two people... I'd find the space a bit claustrophobic. Some of the rooms are tiny, comparable to cruise ship cabins, and Mingle on the Wing is sort of small/cramped in general, in their public spaces and so on. I think it's more of a "single traveller who just wants a reasonably priced clean bed and a shower while they spend their time in the city" kind of place than a "married couple on long trip, need some creature comforts on a short stay" kind of place.

I do like the suggestion to look on wotif.com, though. I see lots of good prices on there, even in the 4/5 star category. $150 for a one night stay should get you something quite acceptable.

See, that would be the key to me between using Airport Express at all or cabs. Traveling light, solo traveler (maybe even a couple travelling light who want to experience it)? Sure, use public transport. Hong Kong is marvelous that way, and this is the way I prefer to travel, and did travel. You and spouse, lots of bulky checked luggage? Shell out for the cab. Saving some cab fare is not worth the stinkeye from a spouse who is wondering why luggage has to be schlepped all over creation to save a few dollars, after a very long flight (and HKG is not a small airport, so there will be lots of schlepping no matter what, even before you get to a cab/Airport Express). And given that the cab doesn't cost extra to carry a married couple the same way Airport Express will, and that Hong Kong cabs are relatively inexpensive and well-regulated, I think it makes a bit of a difference.

Wandering Aramean likes this.