hkg, china, tibet electric outlets

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by techauthor, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techauthor
    Original Member

techauthor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick last minute question: What do the electric plugs in these places look like? I have a "universal" adaptor that handled UK/EU/US and I think AU (just twist the US?). Will I be OK with that or do I need to get something else?

Thanks

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hong Kong generally uses the big three-pronged triangular plug like in England and Singapore, but major hotels tend to have multi-choices and at the very least can supply an adapter IME. IIRC, China is varied and might depend on the region. I know nothing about Tibet except that you need special permission and sometimes an "official" tour group to go there.

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your UK adapters should work in HKG and AUS or US adapters will work in China and Tibet (but the AUS is not just a US twisted around, the top prongs are slanted in and all three prongs are rectangular, no round bottom plug). Not all of the US-style plugs have the 3rd "grounding" hole, so be prepared for that.

I had no issues with the conversion in any of those places last summer, so you should just need the adapter.

Enjoy it, hopefully you will be seeing my avatar up-close while you're there! Those are amazing places!