HIX Siam, Bangkok

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by kwai, Aug 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

I've been moving around a bit this past week and decided to stay at this hotel to check it out and get $75 back for a weekend stay. It also was about the same price as HI Silom but included breakfast in this opening package (and I don't care for Silom).

The location isn't great for eating unless mall food courts are your thing. I did notice some street food on the approach so it's not devoid of edibles. About 50 meters from BTS National Stadium Station (exit 1) it has decent transportation. Also Rama 1 has a number of buses plying past. That's a plus. For check in the lobby was an absolute mess with a Chinese tour group having (mostly) just checked out and waiting for their bus, this isn't a plus or minus because it's become the norm. My status was acknowledged when checking in and, while it took more time than I anticipated due to room availability, the staff handled themselves well in the crunch.

I'm on the 14th floor in a corner room which is pleasant ... until I put the key in.

While the room is clean and decently sized it's just set up awfully. First thing I noticed is the 'queen bed', which is only a double. Apparently the hotel only has 'queen' and twin beds. Some Thai business man must have shrunk the beds and pocketed the money. This one is 54" x 75", pretty easy to measure for someone who's 6'+. Second thing that stood out was the bathroom.... BARREN. Two glasses, two hand towels, two bath towels. A placard on the counter saying that if you need any toiletries please call the front desk... and then go down stairs and pick up what you need. :eek: The shower has one liquid holder that is both shampoo and soap. What an incredible invention. The mini bar fridge, which is well suited to match the shrunken bed, is empty. It could possibly fit in the laptop sized safe. Ok, I'm being facetious about that and the safe is a reasonable size.

Having recently hit Plat with the Chase CC I figured I might check out an HI. Not that i expected much but I was curious; that I could get back $75 clinched the deal. There is no way in the 'wide wide world of sports' I'd have ever spent $150 on two nights here without the weekend rebate. And truth be told, this place isn't worth the $75 that it will ultimately cost me for these two nights. Last year during the rebate promotion I stayed in Shanghai at one the HIX (sorry, I can't remember offhand which one) and was rather impressed. And that stay cost $85 for two nights before the rebate. There are plenty of good, clean places I know of in Bangkok where $25 gets you a good night sleep. I'll be going to one of them on Monday.

I can't wait to see what the breakfast looks like tomorrow. :oops:

Anyway, I'm taking it in stride. As I told my wife, who thankfully isn't here with me because we both would have difficult time sleeping in this bed, this is all very entertaining. ;)
    estnet, uggboy, iolaire and 3 others like this.