HIX Dublin Airport - REVIEW

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by tom911, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a single night stay here earlier this week as I had a 0640 Aer Lingus flight to Brussels to connect to AA. Winter prepaid rate was 52 euros (around $US70). Arrived at the old terminal at DUB at 1850 and went inside to check the bus schedule, finding they arrived in the far back parking lot behind the parking structure every half hour. The schedule is listed under a bank of phones along the back left wall for area hotels. Bus arrived about 1910 for a 1915 on-time departure to the hotel. We did stop at the new terminal along the way, though can't recall where the stop was there as I wasn't paying attention, and were at the hotel about 10 minutes later.

I have stayed at this hotel a couple times over the last two winters for AA flights going out at 1000, but this time I was on the 0500 shuttle to the airport and had to pass on the included self-serve hot breakfast which is not served that early. The first stop for the bus, which we boarded in front of the adjoining Crowne Plaza, was directly in front of the new terminal which houses Aer Lingus flights, among others, and we were at the airport at 0510. After being in Dublin during a major snow and ice storm two years ago and trying to get to the airport via bus on icy roads, I have been doing my last night closer the airport since to avoid any weather issues or missed flights in the winter.

There is free wired internet in the rooms but for some reason mine did not work (I travel with an ethernet cable for the times I run across this). Went down to the lobby where there is free wi-fi and comfortable seating with a wall mounted LCD TV and logged in there. You get a password from the front counter and access the Crowne Plaza signal (they're right next door--they also have a nice bar and restaurant there).

Standard HIX room with bed and sofa/sofabed. Mine was in the sofa position, but when I stopped by to visit with friends after check-in theirs was already rolled out into a bed position with linen on it. Had to explain to them it was a sofabed and could be rolled back up if they wanted somewhere to sit.

Slept well and would definitely return.

stimpy likes this.
  2. I recently stayed at the HIX near ZRH and its breakfast started at 4AM...which seems proper at a major airport hotel.

3. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the HIX Dublin Airport a few months ago and it was a good location, meaning it is a block from the bus stop that takes you directly downtown Dublin. This was very convienent for a one night stay. The free shuttle bus stop from the airport was a bit hard to find at first but once I found it, it was prompt and a quick shot to the hotel. I agree with the comfort of the lobby/breakfast area: free internet, flat screen TV, comfortable chairs. You can even bring a bottle of wine and snacks there and meet with friends if you'd like. There is a bar there too but they did not mind if we brought our own. I would stay there again on a short stay.

stimpy and tom911 like this.
  4. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tom. I was thinking of staying here soon and have now booked it.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked this hotel just after new years but when I arrived from city centre (early morning flight) it was shut down with a sign instructing us to check in at the CP next door. (I had stayed at the CP on my last visit to Dublin, night before flight home, so wanted to try the HIX which was still under construction back then.) My booking was, of course, honoured for the HIX rate which was about half the CP rate when booked. As a Plat was upgraded to a Club floor room, but Club was closed for the holidays.