Hitting the wall: too tired to travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Garp74, May 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week something new happened to me. I hit the wall, hard.

I had travelled for 14 weeks, and when I got back from Cancun, I couldn't do it anymore. I had hit a wall and was too mentally and physically exhausted from travel.

This surprised me because I'm mentally very strong. I don't worry much - I focus on the positives and getting the work done, efficiently and effectively. I don't whine much (caveat: except when posting in MP about UA :mad:) and I don't believe it in - just get over it and do it.

But my body told me no. I had to cancel a trip to Poland, cancel a trip to Seattle. And I just had to stay home and rest for a week to 10 days.

Now I'm headed to Montevideo on Monday (a long journey because the flight choices are sparse and not particularly good). I'll be on the ground for less time than it takes to fly there and back. And then I'll head back to Seattle for the 10385th time this year, and then London, and etc etc etc. I'll be back in my office in the skies.

But I guess I'm posting to ask, "Is hitting the wall normal?" "Was I just being a wussy?" "Has this happened to you?" Tell us what you think.

Best regards,
    Garp74

eponymous_coward and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:

I've gotten unhinged in the past, when I had to be on the road continuously for several months. But you're lucky to be so well aware of what you need to regain balance in life. There is no normal response to anything. If your body is telling you to take a slower pace for 10 days, I think your judgment to listen was right on target!

Garp74 and eponymous_coward like this.
  3. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been traveling weekly for years and only recently (past few weeks) have people told me that I looked tired. I've got a vacation to Aruba schedule for August and it can't come soon enough. I guess sometimes it just catches up with us.

Garp74 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've hit that wall before. Last time was in the middle of a 3x domestic transcon mileage run last year where I was sleeping on the plane every night. I bailed and went home. It was not a smart use of my energies.

The good news is that I still recharge quickly most of the time so I can "get back out there" after a short delay.

Garp74 likes this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'd certainly like to travel enough to get to that point but I'm sure it would happen to me too. I haven't really traveled at all this year and I feel like I've hit the wall because I'm NOT traveling!

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I hit that wall last year when a biz trip came between my vacations and I end up traveling for close to two months -3 trips (2 over pond, 1RTW) 16 flights and 43k miles (Dublin, London, Australia) which for me was too much - I don't usually travel like that and took a few months off only now to have another last minute biz trip ahead of vacation - again two over pond trips in a month followed by west coast vacation. so busy two months - there will be spa time and acupuncture along the way as that helps (for me anyway).

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, we would love to have more travel incl. flights / hotels / destinations in our lives too.

bigx0 likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    True enough, there are plenty of folks who would swap places with road warriors in a heartbeat. I was one of those back in 2007. I got the chance and haven't flown less than 100K miles a year since. Most of my flights are short hops, so it's a LOT of planes.

There are all kinds of factors in all walks of life that cause people to slow down. For me, the burnout has come because of all the time I've spent away from my family. I've been home for 3 weeks now, my longest stretch in a couple years. If given the opportunity to have taken a trip during that time, I'm as certain as I can be that I would have stayed home.

Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing. ;)

philatravelgirl and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess, it's all about a healthy balance. Thanks for telling us about your experiences. It also depends on how the travel is done and why, of course business is different than pleasure, a good mix / work-life balance / would be great in such situations. I'm glad that so far I haven't experienced a burnout on travel. :)