Historic Hotels: 21 Hotels Inducted Into Historic Hotels Of America List

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...d-historical-hotels-of-america_n_2301714.html

It's no secret that we're kind of history nerds here at HuffPost Travel. And, historic hotels hold a special soft spot.

Earlier this week, with the help of Southern Living, we profiled four of the south's grand dame hotels that have been spruced up for modern travelers.

We've also taken a look at America's timeless seaside retreats, hotels that are national historic landmarks, and historic hotel bars around the world, to name a few.

So, we thought it was pretty cool when we heard about the Historic Hotels of Americaprogram (affiliated with the National Trust for Historic Preservation) and its list of 21 new inductees.

The hotels, which range in age from 77-152 years, include properties from 14 states, as well as from five national parks.

Check out the list below. Have you had the chance to stay at any of the properties?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...d-historical-hotels-of-america_n_2301714.html

uggboy likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been in a number of them (either for a look around or a meal) and my reaction is always, I'm glad I stayed somewhere else, usually for significantly less and had rooms that were much more comfortable..

Over the years, I've also stayed at a number of historic hotels and rarely book one a second time -- the Strater in Durango is the only exception.

Recommendation is anyone planning to stay at one of these places should read a review on a site like trip advisor first.

Some people call it paying for a name !

DTWBOB

uggboy and boondr like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And remember the ones in the National Parks often do not have "modern Electronic connectivity" That usually means no wifi and seldom have TV or phones in the room. However, they do have some of the most georgous views and the ultimate peace and quiet. (Like Phantom Ranch)

sobore and uggboy like this.