Hiltons in Honolulu

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by LAM, Jun 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have the opportunity to travel to Honolulu for business in September. I would like to go a few days early or stay a day or two late. Unfortunately my travel budget is a little light right now so my hotels will have to be on points. I have a good number of Hilton points. I am currently a Gold. Does any one have a preference in Honolulu? I was looking at the Double Tree or the Hawaiian Village. I know there is a resort fee there so I am hesitant to stay there. I will not be spending all my time at the hotel so being on the beach is nice but not of the highest importance. My other option would be the Holiday Inn resort.

uggboy, Newscience and 8MiHi like this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The DoubleTree is nicely located and we have enjoyed it. The Embassy Suites is also very good and has a slightly better location. Neither has a great view.
    The Hilton Hawaiian Village is great, well located, has good views and amenities (paddle boarding in the lagoon is fun). It tends to be crowded.
    The last time I used points there, there was no resort fee. It's $30 per day to park. All of these hotels are at the west end of Waikiki. This area is closest to the Convention Center, Ala Moana Mall and the Business district.
    My favorite hotel for using points is the Hilton Waikiki. It has good views, it's a block and a half away from the beach (closer than the DoubleTree), a great pool area and has never been particularly crowded when I have been there. It's at the east end of Waikiki behind the Catholic Church and near the Zoo, Aquarium and the Duke's Statue.

uggboy, NYCUA1K and Newscience like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course there are times when the Hilton Waikiki and the DoubleTree have rates that are low enough to make using points a losing proposition.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what you want, I suppose, but I really didn't like our stay there. But I'm also not a resorts type of guy.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The HHV is not really a true "slow down and relax" sort of place. It may not be to everyone's taste since this is a busy, sometimes crowded urban resort. Those who want a slower, get away from it all would be better served on one of the other Islands.
    But I also know many people who would find it exciting. It has mostly great views and lots to do without leaving the campus.
    Nearby there is clubbing, shopping, dining, hiking, tanning, snorkeling, golfing, history and Honolulu's Museum of Art (a modest sized but world class gem) is not far off.

Dublin_rfk, uggboy, viguera and 2 others like this.
  6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at doubletree once and HHV many times, prefer HHV didn't care much for doubletree.

NYCUA1K, uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your travel budget is light but...I hate to say it, apply for a random credit card for a brand property that you like there for some free nights, etc. Just thinking out loud.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took the words right of my mouth! My last stay at HHV was this past November -- after a 4-year hiatus during which I tried the DT and ES and would recommend the latter -- and I enjoyed it a lot, especially since I was given a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite in Tapa Tower with a really nice view of Waikiki beach.

[​IMG]

One catch about HHV: they no longer offer breakfast in one of their own lounges. Diamonds (and maybe Golds too?) are now instructed to purchase their own breakfast costing no more than $10 at one of the participating restaurants on the resort to be credited at check out. Not that breakfast on this resort was ever that great but I believe this is a significant devaluation of that one elite benefit.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are very few hotels downtown, if any, that would qualify as a slow down and relax place. Honolulu proper is way too busy and touristy for that. With that said, HHV sort-of works because of its size... you can be in the towers and stay in the property for a while and not have to deal with a lot of the crazy buzz immediately outside.

You can still stay in town if you drive 45-60 minutes, either out west in Ko Olina or in the north shore and have a completely different experience, certainly more relaxing than downtown.

8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Embassy Suites most for the commentary happy hours which can be work days only, or include the weekend like STL. These could be drinks only or include a full buffet. Do you remember the happy hour situation in Honolulu - if any?

uggboy likes this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its bee
    Its been 2 years since I was there. I believe the nightly evening reception runs 5pm to 7pm, possibly a little later. It did not include a full buffet, but there was finger food that could pass for a poor dinner.

NYCUA1K and iolaire like this.
  12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right, it is an exciting place to be. I have generally stayed in the HGVC suites in the Lagoon Tower, Grand Waikikian and the Kalia tower. We do love all three of them. Breakfast comes from your own kitchen in the suite from what you stocked it with. The price (in dollars or points) for an HGVC suite is usually pretty high (but not always).

mht_flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, also just happened to look at this hotel, not rooms for points when I looked maybe because rooms are "suites", re reception this is what it says, corresponding to what you said:
    At Embassy Suites Hotels, guests get more with every stay, like free cooked-to-order breakfast, complimentary appetizers and beverages at the nightly Evening Reception* and every room is a two-room suite

Also Doubletree promotes "No resort fees."

8MiHi likes this.