Hilton Worldwide agrees first hotel open in Botswana

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, Aug 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Worldwide agrees first hotel open in Botswana

Kalboz, NYCUA1K and Newscience like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Gaborone. This will be a welcome addition to the current list of hotels. It used to be you either stayed at a resort hotel, or something below Motel 6 standards.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting development in that it signals that Hilton may be starting to expand more aggressively in Africa. In March, they had announced an agreement to open a DoubleTree in Kinshasa, the Capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, where I will be in two weeks for one week on my way to JNB:
    Continue reading...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    uggboy, Counsellor and Kalboz like this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found full service Hiltons in some out-of-the-way places in Africa (Yaounde and Rabat, for instance). It looks as though this latest expansion is of the more mid-priced brands.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, there have been comparatively very few Hilton properties, even full service ones, in Africa. The two properties announced here will be the first in the two countries, which is amazing, especially since one of the two countries (DRC) is the 3rd largest in Africa.

uggboy likes this.
  6. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to see Western hotels in non-Disney Africa, for instance Cameroon, as Counsellor mentions, if only for a break from the local product.

(Botswana, of course, isn't non-Disney Africa, so I'm just tagging on to Counsellor's comment.)

uggboy likes this.