Hilton Whistler

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by JetsettingEric, Feb 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just finished a reward stay at the Hilton Whistler - at the base of a fantastic ski resort in British Columbia, Canada. The location is fantastic, right in the middle of the Whistler Village, right next to the gondolas/chairlifts, the Westin next door is slightly closer.

It was in the middle of ski season, peak holiday week, and right in the middle of a giant snow storm. I was glad they had availability to redeem a free stay from one of the stay 4 get 1 nights. I was traveling with a few friends and was hoping for a little extra space. I signed up for one of the paid upgrades for the 1 bedroom suites, but unfortunately, none were available. I was offered a junior suite (1 king bed plus pull-out couch), but that seemed a bit tight.

I asked about the 2 bedroom suite. The upgrade rate online was just over $400, which seems fair as the regular room rate was about $400 a night, and you're basically getting two hotel rooms plus more common space. I asked about availability for the 2 bedroom suite - and person checking me in asked the manager for a reduced rate. They offered $199 upgrade charge and I decided to splurge.

The room was fantastic and well worth every penny. The room I was given had two bedrooms, with one king/queen bed in each. There were two bathrooms, one within one of the bedrooms, the other in the common area. The one in the common area had one nice feature that I've never seen inside a hotel room - a steamroom. It wasn't that small either, and easily fit three people and generated steam quite quickly.

The common areas were very comfortable and family friendly. Washer and Dryer located inside the room (there is a coin-operated one by the ice machine for those not in the suites). Full kitchen including all the pots, pans, cups, plates, fridge (no ice maker), freezer, dishwasher, etc. There was a pullout couch to increase seating capacity and a fireplace with wood burning log.

The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly. Most of them were college students in Australia working at a ski resort over their summer vacation. The hotel has a ski valet and an indoor/outdoor hot tub as one would expect in a ski location. However, needing to take the stairs up a level with ski equipment is a bit annoying for some, and perhaps a reason to choose another hotel if you're traveling with young children. The hot tubs lack massage jets which i found unusual. The gold/diamond breakfast is a full hot breakfast, with what you would expect at a HGI but in a fancier setting.

The extra space of the 2 bedroom suite was well worth a few additional dollars, but the in room steamroom made it very memorable. For the regular rooms and junior suites, the Westin next door is a better value.

uggboy, Jimgotkp and sobore like this.