Hilton Waikiki Beach

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by unavaca, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any advice for this property as a HH Gold? HHV isn't available for my dates and TOBB doesn't have much info on this property.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both and I would not recommend Waikiki Beach, especially if you are used to HHV. Depending on your budget, you might check to see if the grand vacation suites are available at HHV.

I'm a diamond and I might be able to force a room for you if you don't care about honors credit. The room would be at rack rate which is not cheap. If so, send me a pm with your info and I will see what I can do.

unavaca likes this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the offer!

I'm also somewhat budget-constrained, so HHV's rack rate would blow through my budget. Waikiki Beach is $215/night, which is doable-ish. The Hyatt Place (free breakfast for everyone!) and Aston Circle are $180 and $160 respectively, so I suspect paying rack for the HHV would be rough.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I differ from marcwint a bit. Just checked out of Hilton Waikiki Beach last Wednesday, and once I talked 'em into a high floor, had a very nice stay.

We used HHV for years -- the Ali'i Tower -- but stopped about three or four years ago because the service was deteriorating (less frequent housekeeping spruce up which used to be as often as three times a day, less impressive breakfast and evening snack options Ali'i poolside in our opinion, etc.)

Have been happy with Waikiki Beach -- less pretentious and two blocks off the ocean but overall quite nice and staff in most cases very good if not excellent. As a "Gold" you will get free breakfast and evening snacks plus cash bar in the basement executive lounge -- not elegant, but it will do. My advice is NOT to spring for the extra bucks for executive level because "Gold" still gets you the lounge access, breakfast and happy hour snacks. I *would* advise you pay for ocean view rather than mountain view, not so much for the view but because we've found the whistling and rattling in the glass walls on the mountain-view side can keep light sleepers awake when winds pick up off the mountains.

I would also put a 'request high floor' in your booking, and then call morning of check-in to reiterate that. The ocean-view side is overlooking Kuhio Avenue as well, and the street noise on Kuhio can be distracting unless you are up floor twenty or higher. YMMV.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marcwint, switched away from the HHV several years ago (2009?) when noticed the Ali'i had cut back on service from spectacular to good. Went to the Hyatt Regency for a few stays, the Royal Hawaiian once, and for now (including last week) have settled in Hilton Waikiki Beach (Prince Kuhio) as doing best what it aims to do at a fair price (it's a hotel, not a resort). My memory from the Ali'i Tower in those days of old is that a Christian group uses the beach adjacent to the Ali'i private pool area for Christmas Morning, and I do believe Sunday morning, seaside services. I don't remember that group being all that loud, however. If it is on the beach as that Christian group was, my understanding of Hawaii coastal law is that is public property, not hotel property, and wouldn't really need the Hilton's permission. In that case the Hilton probably went further than they had to in getting the volume cut down for you, but since I didn't see (or hear!) this particular instance that is just my opinion.

7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed at the Double Tree on Ala Moana (decent basic hotel with Breakfast for Golds) and The Embassy Suites off of Beach Walk and Lewers which was truly great, but may be a bit expensive. We have not stayed at the Kuhio which is at the east end of Waikiki near the Zoo and aquarium, but it appears to be fairly good. The Hilton Village appears to be undergoing substantial construction work on the non-HGVC buildings as of Labor Day.