Hilton Upgrade

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by youpaiyou, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi:

I booked 2 nights at the Hilton in the Financial District of SF. At the conclusion of the booking, I was asked if I was interested in purchasing upgrades if they were available at the time of check in. I received gold status recently and I really am interested in an upgrade. Nevertheless, I would obviously rather receive a free upgrade over a paid upgrade. That being said, should I accept the option to be offered paid upgrades or should I decline the option and try and request an upgrade for free or for money upon checking in?

Thank you in advance for your time.

marcwint55 and funtrainsf like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    How valuable is the upgrade to you -- I never offer to spend money to get one and almost always get a decent room.

(also messages like this really belong in the Hilton forum)

DTWBOB

3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was given the same option for a stay in that same Hilton over this last weekend. For an extra $12/night I would be upgraded, if available. I took the upgrade and just for the reaction of my wife to the view alone made it worth it. Coit Tower, Alcatraz and Angel Island were all in view. We were on an executive floor so we had access to the executive lounge (normally only for diamonds). It worked for us.

4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually considering this hotel for my April anniversary trip. One question I haven't been able to figure out after reading the FT threads about it - does the AXON award have to be consecutive nights? The reason I ask is because I'm arriving to SFO on a Tuesday, and then have 2 free nights that were given to my wife for the Westin Verasa Napa, which we booked for Friday and Saturday, which covers the night of our anniversary, but then we don't leave town until Monday, so I need another hotel room in SFO for Sunday. Has anyone broken up an AXON award like that before?

Mikus33 and youpaiyou like this.
  5. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upper floor rooms have a great bayview but there are not many with it so if you like a grand view (and I sure do) I would consider it if the cost isn't prohibitive.

youpaiyou and marcwint55 like this.
  6. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are checking in on a Sunday and staying 2 nights. Hopefully it won't busy.

My ultimate question is will I be given an opportunity to negotiate an upgrade for free or money if I don't select that option when I book online?

7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there as a diamond and had a beautiful suite upgrade. I spoke to someone who was there at the same time as a gold member and he too had received a complimentary suite upgrade. The lounge was nice and even had a few ipad's available for use.

youpaiyou likes this.
  8. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on what I'm gathering from you all, I'm going to decline the online option to pay for an upgrage based on availabilty and roll the dice. Hopefully, Hilton offers me a free upgrade or lets me pay for one at check in.

Thanks!

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must admit I was put off by the only upgrade option given to me at time of reservation was a pay if available option. I decided that for $24 total I wasn't going to sweat it and, in this instance, it worked.
    It might have worked without the pay bit, but the clerk at the desk seemed genuinely surprised, too.

youpaiyou likes this.
  10. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I stayed in the SF Financial District Hilton in September on points. I'm gold, and we arrived around 11 in the morning (I think). I was able to get check in right away (which surprised me quite a bit actually), but didn't get upgraded to the Executive floor. However, we did get a high floor (18th, I think) with a great view of Coit Tower and the Bay as well as access to the executive lounge. Beautiful hotel, and a great location.

I'm interested, how much did they offer the upgrades for? I just booked 2 nights for Frequent Traveler University, and that Hilton offered me the same upgrade options (I can't remember the prices). This must be something new Hilton is trying out (unless it's been happening for a while and I just didn't pay attention).

8MiHi and youpaiyou like this.
  11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've been doing it for quite a while.

Mikus33, 8MiHi and youpaiyou like this.
  12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our upgrade cost was $12/night. This is the first time that I was not offered a free upgrade along with a couple of pay upgrade options. A year ago I stayed in this hotel and was offered a free upgrade (if available) that I took along with a pay ~$20/ night option that I declined. I also was given a nice room in the high teens with a very good view, but not given access to the executive lounge. Breakfast, lower view and wifi, but no lounge.

Mikus33 likes this.
  13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the AXON must be for consecutive nights. I suggest calling and booking the AXON for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights, and ask the agent to move the current Friday and Saturday nights award to Saturday and Sunday nights.

Depends on what you mean by "given an opportunity to negotiate." Nothing ever stops you from initiating a negotiation for an upgrade, either before you arrive or during check-in. I've had success calling or emailing in advance and negotiating an upgrade, sometimes at an agreeable price and sometimes complimentary. But you are never given an explicit opportunity to negotiate for an upgrade by any of Hilton's systems, aside from the NOR1 mechanism to request one or if a desk clerk happens to offer.

14. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two of my colleagues took the option to purchase Hh Gold status where they will achieve upgrades for one year, seems to me better bang for your buck overall.