Hilton Times Square

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by sagefemme52, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is reached from street level entrances on both 41st and 42nd street midway between 7th and 8th avenues. Once inside either entrance, you enter an elevator that takes you to the hotel lobby, which is ~ 20 floors above street level. We had a one night stay here this past week. On checking in at 2:30pm, on a Monday, we were surprised to be offered a pick of any floor we wanted as long as we were ok with two double beds, since all the kings were only available on the lower floors (closer to street noise). We opted for the 42nd street side of the hotel and were on the 42nd floor. For a hotel in the heart of Times Sq., we had minimal street noise, and the view, although only a partial one looking onto Times Square, was still quite interesting. The room was, for NYC, of good size: however the bathroom was tight (although there was a tub/shower combo, the tub was 3/4 length). The room was an updated room. Since the mini bar refrigerators are automated and therefore prevented us from storing anything, housekeeping readily brought a mini refrigerator when we asked, (w/no charge). Breakfast is served in the restaurant/bar adjacent to the lobby, which is either a hot buffet or one can order from the menu. As Golds, we received a complimentary hot buffet breakfast for both of us. The breakfast was good. We did not have any other meals or drinks at this hotel. We found the front desk staff to be uniformly quite personable in our interactions with them. We would certainly consider returning.

gemac likes this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there last year for one night. My only memory is of sitting in their lobby for about an hour trying to check in. The lobby was full of people trying to check in. I've forgotten the cause of the snafu, and I'm fairly confident that it wasn't an everyday occurance. Since nothing else stands out, it must have been OK but unexceptional.

3. ORDflyer
    Original Member

ORDflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Times Square Hilton is very nice, not spectacular, generally predictable. The one problem tfor late arrivals is the restaurant closes at about 9:00 pm, although there is a bar menu. Almost all the rooms are the same. We have not found the street noise to be oppressive on any floor. Remember it is New York, not Montana. Heck, one time in Guatemala the howling monkeys kept us up all night.

gemac likes this.
  4. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    i'd have to disagree about this Hilton. Although checkin was fine and noise negligible (and as a Gold breakfast was fine!) it was not one of my best Hilton experiences! I'd actuallyt stay at the Garden Inn in preference. Why? When checking in I arranaged a late checkout - all confirmed ... on the day of checkpout, I received a call fro Housekeeping asking why I hadn't left - I explained and was told i'd need to talk to Front desk ... which I did, only to be treated extremely rudely and almost (but not quite!) called a liar ... very bad way to finish an otherwise wonderful holiday, staying at a variety of Hilton properties ...

5. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a few stays at this property, I have to say it is ideally located, particularly if attending some shows; the staff is generally pretty helpful (if not, it's time to contact the manager at some point,) and street noise is generally not much of an issue because of the elevation. The hotel has high demand - businessfolks and showgoers on weekends - so arriving at the normal check-in time or departing at the usual check-out can make for a very crowded desk; special requests, e.g. late check-out, should be added to the record so nobody argues.

6. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree absolutely about adding special requests to your record - I'd been told that it had been added - hence my aggravation. Add to that it wasn't particularly busy ... just such a different response to all the other Hilton's I'd been staying in ... but it's all subjective at the end of the day I guess ...

7. I have stayed here a couple of times and always had a king room on the top floor and loved it...never had a bad experience at this Hilton.

sagefemme52 likes this.