Hilton Teacher Treks Travel Grant Competition

Discussion in 'Deal Page | Air/Hotel' started by MLW20, Feb 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    I came across an interesting travel competition recently on Twitter. The competition caught my eye because it is only open to teachers.

For those of you that do not know, Kim and I both teach special education. While our teaching positions would not qualify us for this competition in my opinion, I feel it is a great offer to share with other teachers out there that love to travel.

A little about the competition (according to Hilton):
    Hilton HHonors has long believed in the power of travel to bring people together and foster great understanding between countries. As nurturers of the future generations of travelers, we believe teachers play an important role in spreading understanding of other cultures.

This year, Hilton HHonors is celebrating culture by giving teachers the chance to experience first- hard the lessons they teach through Teacher Treks, a grant program that will award 15 winners the cultural excursion of a lifetime.
    [​IMG]

Teachers enter by submitting an essay discussing cultural destinations they have always wanted to visit. They also have to explain how they would share the learnings and experiences from the trip with their students.

15 grants will be awarded to 15 teachers selected by public vote and an expert panel.
    • Winnings teachers will travel to the destinations they wrote about and "chronicle their journeys and share their experiences with their students".
    • Winning teachers must travel during their 2013 summer break
    • Each teacher's school will also receive $2500 to use for cultural activities/ enhancements
    The Prizes:
    • 15 winners will receive a trip to the destination of their choice, valued at $6,000 and a $2,500 donation for their schools
    • 15 runner-ups will receive a $2,500 donation for their school
    • One winner will be randomly selected from all submissions to receive a cultural excurions for their class valued at $1,500
    • 10 random winners (selected from those who voted in the competition) will receive a Hilton HHonors $250 gift card
    Some Rules:
    • Open to citizens of the 50 United States, Puerto Rico & D.C.
    • Must be at least 18 years of age at time of entry?
    • Only full-time, certified teacher grades K-12, teaching at least 3 years in the U.S., P.R. or D.C. qualify
    • The Voting Sweeps is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, Puerto Rico or D.C. at least 13 years of age at time of entry qualify
    Find out more about the Teacher Treks Travel Grant Competition and enter for a chance to win one of the prizes HERE

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good catch. I will let the teachers that I have contact with know about this.

Question though, Looking over the rules and other stuff, I could not find a closing date. Since the trips are supposed to be this summer, it seems like there might be a short closing date.

Do you have any info on that date?

uggboy and MLW20 like this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great! I know a few teachers who would love the opportunity!

Mapsmith, uggboy and MLW20 like this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also did not see a date to enter by listed. I went back and looked over the terms some more and it looks like submissions end March 15.
    Spread the word. Definitely a cool contest. I wish my line of teaching would qualify for it!

canucklehead, Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just have to convince my teacher wife to write the essays:)

6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell her it is her homework for the weekend.

MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teacher's husband could draft one first! :D

Sent it out to a few teachers, as well as the teachers we work with in our Science Outreach program in NYC!

MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  8. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    10% is that is has to be feasible and available with the hilton worldwide portfolio.

That limits some of my choices...

uggboy likes this.
  9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with canucklehead- if she is not a willing participant, you should take the lead and write those essays!
    Good one!
    Awesome! Might as well let people know about this contest! What kind of work do you do?

canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, let a guy I know from grad school know; he's really been hit hard by K-12 cuts in Michigan.

uggboy likes this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Medical research. I also help with city-wide neuroscience outreach. We are coordinating a week long series of events for the public devoted to Brain Awareness week (Mar 11-17) covering everything from healthy aging, current issues in mental health, and basic neuroscience.

MLW20 likes this.
  12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice! That event sounds really interesting. Science was never a strong subject for me. I was always more into English & Social Studies.