Hilton Surpass Card: Fine Print on HHonors Diamond Qualification

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Explore, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of questions about qualifying for HHonors Diamond status with this card:

- Do you need $40K spend in a single calendar year, or over a rolling 12-month period? If the latter, when does the Diamond status start?

- Can that $40K spend be on a combined (master) account with two separate credit card numbers?

Thanks....

2. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The answer to the first question is calendar year.

3. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes

Yes - as of a few months ago when I asked Amex.

4. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I asked the same question (no, not in regard to Diamond as I will never spend that much but in connection with Gold). I was also told that spending on the second card counts.

I gave the second card to my daughter, so I have no doubt she will do her best at local malls to bring me to Gold.

5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    alittle OT, has anyone gotten the 40k up front myself and a few people I know only got 30k, funny thing was I got it before my statement closed and they said the other 10k HH will give to me once my statement closes etc etc, of cause I didnt believe them but had to wait anyway. Needless to say it closed and no 10k extra was posted by anyone so they opened up a File and will get back to me

Also keep in mind that the 2500 pts per stay up to a max of 8 stays or 20k in additional pts is only if your bill is over $100 ai, so if like me your bill is way below $100 dont count on getting 60k for Upgrading to Surpass. But I will enjoy the extra pts for the 1st yr and 30-40k for $75 is still worth it, but next year back to the reg Amex HH for me

efox and gpaya like this.
  6. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mind you - HHonors points do sometimes take quite a long time to post.

7. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can say definitely that you do not need to spend $100 to get 2,500 points, even though it is in fine print, they will give you these points just for spending a $1 or more. I stayed on reward stays and paid minor charges $5 (for a beer) and received these bonus 2,500 points per stay. Of course, something may have changed since 2009, but I doubt it.

deant likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Same thing for me. Stayed on an award stay and had very minor charges to the room and received the 2,500 points. This also was in 2009 so there is the possibility that something changed since then.

9. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    since my post Ive had 1 stay that met the $100 min including the tax and 3 that didnt (including 1 award stay) I only received the 2500 pts 1 time. So it seems they have changed their computer program to make sure that its a min of $100, unlike what was the case in '09

10. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    like usually 1-2 days for me. Only once did it take longer and when I complained to Amex they said they came back due to a computer glitch and it was corrected asap. My statement closed on 4-28 and my point posted on 4-29.

11. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I filled out a survey for Amex not too long ago (a month or two ago) where they asked about taking away the benefit of gaining Diamond status on the HH Surpass card. It sounded like they were willing to give other benefits - free nights, more points, etc. instead of allowing people to get Diamond. I wonder if it's because they have too many Diamonds or what's causing them to rethink that specific benefit.

12. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I sure hope they don't take away Diamond for spending $40K. It definitely would change what card I use for most purchases.

13. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can easily make Diamond. Why not buy coins from the US mint and use those to buy lottery tickets. ;)

Mike

14. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonderful idea! I am certain that Israeli banks would love to get large bags of dollar coins.

Of course, they don't accept any other American coins (or, for that matter, coins from any country other than Israel), but that doesn't mean that they won't take dollar coins, right?

And, if they don't, I can always put 10 or 15 pounds of them into my suitcase the next time I fly to the States. I wonder what the odds of that particular piece of checked baggage disappearing during the TSA check are. :D

15. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I spend $40K by late-Dec '15 with a statement close in early Jan '16, would I get Diamond for '16 and '17?