Review Hilton Singapore

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by markcwj, May 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I know that most people chose the Conrad Singapore over the Hilton, I wanted to share my latest stay there which was pretty nice!

[​IMG]

Although it is a rather old hotel, the level of standard is still pretty high and the rooms are pretty comfortable to live in.

Full review here: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/2014/5/5/hilton-singapore-revisited

Kalboz, Zomby Woof, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. gummibar_sg

gummibar_sg Member

Status Points:
    Excellent report! I do agree with you about the level of standard is high and the rooms are comfy...and I think the lounge here is more private than the Conrad. Plus, for HHonors gold members, one will not get upgraded to Executive floor automatically for Conrad..unlike in Hilton where they are more liberal with the upgrades. Hilton is also a better place for shopping at Orchard Road...but Conrad's location is also very good too! All in all...it's hard to choose sometimes...but Conrad's room is definitely a notch higher than Hilton (esp the bath tub and shower area).

markcwj and uggboy like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice. I have been to Singapore at least once a year over the last few years, and as a HH Diamond I've stayed only once at the Conrad Singapore. Even if it is a bit "dated" I prefer the Hilton on the livelier Orchard Road where I was upgraded to an Executive Suite last year....

markcwj and uggboy like this.
  4. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoys the Hilton Singapore! :) I really enjoy the privacy of the lounge and I think it's a great space to get some work done too!

uggboy likes this.
  5. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed 2 stays in June, and both time I had only been given a one category upgrade:
    Deluxe to Deluxe Plus
    Deluxe Plus to Executive

But I agree that the lounge at Hilton is more spacious and looks better than CCS.

I also like that there are more electrical sockets available in the room compared to CCS. More convenient to have my phone charging next to my bed than having to walk all over to either the TV or the working desk.

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am interested about the breakfast.
    Do you get to have breakfast at the restaurants e.g. Checkers Brasserie?
    Is Hilton's breakfast comparable to the Conrad's Oscars?

uggboy likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had breakfast at Checkers Brasserie (the other option is the exec lounge, which is way too limited) and at Oscar's and either offering was a royal feast. At that level, comparisons become meaningless...

8. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both times at Hilton Singapore (Deluxe Plus room and Executive Room), I had the breakfast at Checkers. I would say the spread is almost similar with Oscars although CCS Oscars had a little bit more like freshly made waffles and ice cream. But recently I've come to appreciate having breakfast at the lounge or Business floor (for CCS) as it is more quiet and peaceful.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate both your inputs.
    A nice breakfast is one of my check boxes I like to have on my list when deciding on a hotel.

uggboy likes this.
  10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i think i'm out staycation-ed by a long shot by WilliamQ and markcwj by a mile;)

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That "honors" would without a doubt goes to @markcwj. Looking at his blog, his leisure stays averages about twice a month. I am (at best) barely once a month.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    when we visit I try to convince the wife to stay in hotels. She prefers her sister's place. She can't give up having a hawker center underneath the HBD. I think that's why she likes the IC location the best.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy likes this.
  13. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where to post it, but this is the way the menu is now presented at Hilton Singapore. Feels quite cheap.

Oh and no more fruits, sweets and macaroons in the room. :(

Attached Files:

uggboy likes this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thinking of a getaway and trying to decide between Conrad and Hilton.
    Hilton is about ~20%+ cheaper with current promos but I think I will go for CCS.

What about Hilton's breakfast and lounge?
    Facing "cuts" too?

uggboy likes this.
  15. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    No lounge access at Hilton this time round. No more love. :(

Breakfast is not bad. After the restaurant that renovation.

In room amenities really lacking. The shampoo, conditioner and shower gel all shrank by at least 50%. There used to be three sets of towels, but now there're only 2 sets.

No more free newspaper too. CCS lounge has always been better than Hilton.

Other than that, it's just another hotel stay. Heh. But I do appreciate their ability to do late check out till 4pm.

uggboy likes this.
  16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    What room type did you book?
    There is currently a Explore Asia rate which looks good but you have shared some not so good updates... I think it will be again CCS for me then.
    If they have no love for you, someone who stays there many times a year... I would be much worse off. :D
    Pity SIN only has two HHonors properties..
    Big pain. If only they bring in brands like Hampton...
    They could locate them at East Coast / Changni Village.

uggboy likes this.
  17. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I booked their basic room on the explore Asia rate. Cheaper than the PR13CB rate, and received one category upgrade. When I enquired about lounge access, was told that all executive rooms were fully booked.

Before I got HH Gold from MP, I used to do staycations at Changi Village Hotel and spend my time spotting from my room's balcony with the help of FR24.

uggboy likes this.
  18. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at Hilton last weekend. During check in was informed of an upgrade from deluxe to deluxe plus, complimentary breakfast, wifi etc as per HH Gold. request for room on higher floors and away from elevators were met.

Entered the room to find leftover shampoo and soap from previous guest and dirty water in the wash basin (there was a layer of oil on it)
    IMG_20150806_184605[1].jpg IMG_20150806_185523[1].jpg
    called up housekeeping and informed them about the soap. 15min later housekeeping showed up with extra bars of soaps and shampoos. Fella left in a hurry before i can tell him what's really wrong. Called up housekeeping again and was told that the staff had already been dispatched. Seeing they do not understand, went down to front desk and had a word with the duty manager. FD duty manager told me she'll send the housekeeping manager up to check the room.

housekeeping manager showed up and i showed her the toilet. she told me i can release the water by pressing the stopper. And dip my fingers into someone else's dirty water?

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my view Hilton Singapore is one of the most overvalued or overrated Hilton properties anywhere. The rooms are visibly dated and service has been steadily declining, as just reported above. However, for a subpar hotel they charge truly exorbitant rates in cash or points. I will be in SIN around New Year and recently looked into redeeming HH points for a 3-night stay at this property and was shocked, like in sticker shock:

upload_2015-8-16_8-45-2.png
    The claim is that they have no standard award availability. So, as you can see, every room available has been designated as a "Premium room", which is a code phrase for "we think that we can make a lot money from people booking revenue stays for these rooms so we are going to make them prohibitively expensive to book with points". In fact, the 32 sq. m. "premium" King Hilton Deluxe Plus depicted above is exactly the same size and offers exactly the same amenities as a standard King Hilton or King Hilton Deluxe, although the latter is on a lower floor. That, along with the fact that the entire property is now quite "dated" and service has been declining, do not justify this property's high room rates in cash or points. Therefore, for the first time after 9 trips to SIN in 6 yeas, I will not be staying at a Hilton property. Rather, I have decided to redeem a Cash+Point award at nearby Grand Hyatt Singapore.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    uggboy likes this.
  20. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:

Oh and they removed the AV pin outlet located at the table. Although it only works about 60% of the time.

Well if you're gonna be around there for NYE, I'm planning to do the same.

Only because CCS requires at lease a 2 night booking and I only want 1 night.

But I'm really disappointed that Hilton Singapore no longer provides a bowl of candies, a bowl of fresh fruit and macaroons as welcome gift. They're not required to do so, but it was a nice gesture when they used to do it.

uggboy likes this.
  21. KLflyerRalph

KLflyerRalph Active Member

Status Points:
    Lounge is good but I agree the bathroom is ancient.

uggboy and markcwj like this.
  22. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    if time permits, the Doubletree Hilton at Johor Bahru just past the Causeway could be much better value, at a fraction of cost (paid or award redemption). Used to be a Category 1 hotel (5,000 points) but recently revised to a Category 2 hotel (10,000 points) but still very good value...;)

uggboy and markcwj like this.
  23. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I know. Maybe next year onwards when I get a car then I'll be driving there.

uggboy likes this.
  24. lch7181

lch7181 New Member

Status Points:
    I stayed twice in Hilton Singapore this year but was upgraded to Deluxe Plus and Premium Room only with my HHonors Gold that comes with Nespresso machine.
    A bit disappointed not given access to Executive Lounge :(

uggboy likes this.
  25. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I'm booked into classic room as Gold I'll only get an upgrade to deluxe plus which was just an additional coffee machine in the room.

Speaking of which, I had a week long stay till last Sunday. On Saturday night I requested for a late check out and was given only till 2pm.

Checked out at 2pm and checking out process took about 20min. Then had to get the valet to fetch my car. Took another 20min. So left Hilton at about 2.45pm.

Reached home and saw on news that Hilton Singapore had a roof collapse outside the lobby drop off area at 2.50pm.

Like wow. Wow. Almost bought the farm.

NYCUA1K and uggboy like this.