Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa - 2nd bad experience

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by nime01, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read my previous review of Hilton Northolme Resort & Spa here:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Northolme_Resort_Spa-Glacis_Mahe_Island.html

We made the mistake of coming back to Northolme, thinking they had improved since last year. Sadly, the hotel seems strongly committed to providing sub-par service.

Booked two villas, one for me, wife and kid, the other for my sister. In advance, we had requested an early check-in at 12 noon. This was not available, which is OK, so we came back at 1400, only to be told our villas were not available at the moment, but we could sit and have lunch in the bar. No further information was given, so at 1530 we asked the bar staff when our villas would be ready, to which they replied they would be ready at 1800. OK, a hotel can make mistakes, but at least the hotel should take care to inform their guests at timely intervals.

We then went to the reception to ask why they were not ready until then. The reception staff then replied that one of the villas had been ready since check-in at 1400, and all our luggage (incl my sister's luggage meant for the other villa) had been brought there. We then received the keycards for the one villa that had been ready, one and a half hour after checking in.

The other villa for my sister would not be ready until 1800, and she would be compensated with a 20 min massage in the spa for the inconvenience. She denied this as she was not interested in getting a massage, only access to her villa, as she wanted to freshen up after traveling from Praslin, relax in her villa, and use the pool, beach etc.

We went to the reception again to inform them that this was not a good start for our stay, and suggested that a dinner discount would be acceptable as compensation for the long delay. Not so for the staff, who insisted that the lunch we had been served cost in excess of €200 (the total amount came to about SCR 1000 ~ €40), and that we could expect no more from them. Needless to say, we ate dinner elsewhere, and will never again return to Northolme - which is a shame, since the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful.

Just now we got a call from the reception at Northolme (we are now in an other hotel) and they offered nothing but an apology (since we have received a free lunch (well, we paid dearly for it by not having our villas available) and hoped we would be back for a third visit.

Someone in the management must be extremely short-sighted to believe we will return. Maybe we are just unlucky, but our experience with this hotel is absolutely not good at all. The service and staff commitment is clearly non-existent, to be honest, we've stayed i B&B's which have had far superior service. On the other hand, Hilton's junior staff, such as the gate guards, ground keepers etc, who are all very friendly and attentive.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would totally agree about the day time gate guard. He's quite friendly and nice.

I am still writing up my review of the place, but my biggest complaint would be I often had no confidence in anything the staff (or some staff) would tell me. It often felt like they didn't understand me or didn't want to say no to me the answer was always "yes".

like the peggy commercial for the credit card.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received a reply from the hotel, but they don't seem to understand why we had a bad time there.

Based on my two experiences with this hotel, I would highly recommend dropping Hilton Northolme and finding another hotel if you are going to the Seychelles - there are plenty of other good ones to choose from.

4. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. yesterday I got an invitation in my email to participate in an online survey about my last stay. Just completed it, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if there is any feedback coming my way.

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got mine too yesterday. Still haven't filled it out.

6. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, got an email from some manager somewhere.. nothing of substance, though.
    Hopefully, other guests can avoid the issues I encountered, though I'm not sure they will actually learn anything from it.... Good thing there are loads of other good hotels there.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the standard wording of other hotels I've written about in the past. ie, the BWI Embassy Suites years ago.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    For folks that have stayed at this property - how remote is it? We'd like to explore the rest of Mahe, and take the ferries over to Praslin and La Digue. What's the best way to do this -- rental car?

9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    My review of our stay in Feb 2011 is elsewhere in this forum. But I will say this about the location. It is a little isolated. You can walk the road to Beau Vallon. Its not the easiest or safest thing to do, but you can. You can not really walk the beach between the two. Victoria is a 15 euro cab ride from the hotel. Ferries leave from Victoria. I believe I was told 80 Euro per person from Victoria to Praslin.

We did not rent a car, but would probably look to next time.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long was your stay?

11. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the resort is very remote, but it has a very relaxing beach/pool. Check out my trip report here, we had a great time. I'd highly recommend a trip to La Digue and the hike on Mahe.

Our check in was very early in the AM, we had no issues with arrival and checkin. They greeted us at the airport and the driver was very friendly, he ended up taking us around the island all weekend at our request. The breakfast buffet w/champagne was fantastic.

12. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    HHonors points have not posted yet, despite two reminders...

13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not had points post nor stay credit for mine yet either.