Hilton Seattle - Review

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Toula, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently had a 2 night stay at this property and thought I would share my thoughts on this property.

As we have all been told, there is only one opportunity to make a first impression, and if I were to use three words to describe my first impression of this property they would be sad, depressing and apathetic.

The entry of this property is less than impressive. It's old and dingy even though it was clean and has probably been updated some time in the last 5 years ago.

I think it was check-in that set the tone. No-one in front of us, no-one behind us, however the receptionist was only interested in getting the prepared info into our hands and getting us out of her space. As Gold Members we had set our preference to a room upgrade, however when I enquired I was told that it was not possible. However, we had been given access to the lounge at the Top of the hotel.

As it was 6.00 p.m. we thought we would check out the lounge before heading out for dinner. What a sad little space. I believe going on what I had read online it is not too long since they last did a reno on this area. All I can say is if they did they need to get a new interior designer, it is drab. The hot food consisted of pizza slices (yeah didn't they look delicious thrown on top of each in the warmer) and chicken on a stick done in a soy sauce base. I didn't try the chicken but to use a good old Australian expression, my husband said they were about as dry as a dead dingo's donger. I sampled the antipasto plate, it was so bad I had to spit it back to my napkin. The chorizo was covered in slime. My initial thought was it was off and I would be visited by a case of food poisoning, however more likely I would say that tray of food had been rotating between the fridge between lounge openings. The drinks were ok, but alcohol was charged. It's not a place I would make an effort to go again. We had vouchers for free breakfast at the lounge but went out and paid because if their freebies were indicative of what their breakfast would be, we figured it would be better to pay elsewhere.

The room itself was adequate. I had asked for a quiet room, so they had very carefully chosen a room away from the elevator but obviously just about on top of the ice machine doesn't qualify as noise. I didn't think much of the bed, far too soft and springy. Pillows were also less than comfortable. Often it is the attention to detail which can give a property the edge and that detail was missing. For example, the blackout curtains were a couple of inches short, so all night I had the light from outside beaming into my eyes.

Staff we encountered outside of the check in experience were all friendly enough, though the only real interaction was saying hello to the cleaners in the hallway and reception when we called to make a noise complaint. I have to give them kudos on their rapid handling of the situation. Shortly after DH hung up we heard the phone next door ring and the frat boys didn't let out a peep afterwards.

Would I choose to stay at this property next time we are in Seattle? I would have to say no, unless it was incredibly cheap and Hilton had a fantastic promotion on. I don't think staying at this property enhanced my time in Seattle by one iota, it's not got anything to make it memorable in a good way.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What an incredible experience!:( Thanks for sharing!

3. Jubilee777

Jubilee777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed with the review. I had a one night stay end March and it was what was described by OP. Weird part was the 2 car rental companies located at the entrance!

The breakfast at the top floor was not fantastic and the place desperately requires a overhaul, but the view was superb.

I think the Sheraton down the road is a better choice.

Toula likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This place has been like this for 15 years now. Although I dont stay there often I like the location (close to the Interstate exit) and the elevators in the parking garage take you straight up to the lobby. No need to peruse the main entrance.:)

uggboy and Toula like this.
  5. fritzk12

fritzk12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad. Thanks for the review. The two places I stay when in Seattle are the Double Tree near the airport and the Hampton Inn on 5th.
    You won't be disappointed with those places.

uggboy and Toula like this.
  6. If you don't have to be downtown then try the DoubleTree at Southcenter mall. I have always had a great experience there.

Toula likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This Hilton sounds like it has not changed in 20 years. It is a strange one to be sure. As others have noted- there are better choices in Seattle. The Vintage Court is not too bad and it doesn't have any of the problems you have noted- and probably has the same or close to pricing for example.

Toula and uggboy like this.