Hilton San Francisco Financial District vs. Hilton Fisherman's Wharf - Which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Mikus33, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to book a rewards stay for this Saturday night in SF, and availability just opened up for both the Hilton Financial District and the Hilton Fisherman's Wharf both at the same price (points) point. Which would you choose and why?

I'm Hilton Gold, and we're doing Alcatraz and the tourist thing at Fisherman's Wharf, so I like that location a little better. Would upgrades and executive lounge access be possible at the Financial District? How 'nice' is lounge access (what benefits)? I also like the possible views from the high rooms at the Financial District.

If you were me, which would you choose?

pcarol, marcwint55 and 8MiHi like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no exec lounge at the Wharf location. Breakfast tends to be a mad house if they have the tour buses in. Having said that I would choose the Whart as I really like the location. As a Diamond they have always treated me well and it is very close to a number of good restaurants and other venues. Close to the cable car end of line also. Taxi to other areas in the mid city are 10-15 $ only.

pcarol, Mikus33, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  3. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Financial District easy walk to North Beach with great restaurants. They don't have an Exec lounge and I always walked to the wharf from there (takes about 20 min) or you can take a bus. I was gold and got on one of the upper floors each time. The top floors have one side with a great view. Easy walk from the subway (pretty flat) so cheap and easy to get to the airport.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer Financial .. right next door to Chinatown for some good foods.

disclaimer: I am asian :)

pcarol, servo46250, Flyer1976 and 5 others like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No brainer.. the Fishermans Wharf property is a dump ( all they did was change the signs from when it was a Holiday Inn)... I suppose for one night you might survive especially if you are into the pretty touristy hordes (putting it as charitable as best I can) at the wharf.

pcarol, Mikus33, MX and 1 other person like this.
  6. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're closer to more (cooler!) areas of the city in the Financial District than you are near Fisherman's Wharf. Chinatown, North Beach, Mission, Lower Haight, etc. Easy public transit options as well.

pcarol, Flyer1976, Mikus33 and 3 others like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    When was the last time you were there? In the past year they have done a major refurb - I was there a few months ago and would definitely not say it is a dump.

pcarol, Mikus33, MX and 3 others like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasnt there in the last few months but from where I sit the only major refurb that place needed was to tear it completely down and start anew.:)

boondr, pcarol, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well then I respectively disagree with you. If you have not set foot in the prop then your statement is ill conceived. Try a couple of week stay to check it out :p

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not ever likely to happen SF is one of my favorites US cities but the only redeeming facet of the entire Fishermans Wharf district are the sea lions.:)

boondr, pcarol, Mikus33 and 2 others like this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    & the clam chowda

pcarol, Mikus33 and marcwint55 like this.
  12. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    In&Out Burger is the only thing that brought me to the Fisherman's Wharf area when I lived there! ;)

13. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't stay at FW just for the location, the only way out is the overcrowded trolley. The FiDi location isn't right next to anything, but is an easy walk to anywhere other than FW....The views of the bay are awesome if you get a room on that side. The rooms were fine, service was lacking though.

14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have always liked the location of the Fisherman's Wharf Hilton on trips where I am planning on doing some cycling over the Golden Gate Bridge or up in the Presidio. Glad to hear it has been refurbished as I have always been well treated there but was noticing that it was getting very tired. The Financial District Hilton is a good, modern urban hotel in a fun spot near Chinatown. I have enjoyed both and would choose based on what I was looking to do. Either one is likely to be cool because you are in San Francisco! :cool:

pcarol, AAL, Mikus33 and 3 others like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    1.gif

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it takes a couple of weeks to grow on you, it can't be good!

I've never stayed in any hotel that long in one go, and wouldn't particularly want to. In all honesty I'm sure it's a fine hotel, but my stay patterns, whether business or leisure, are infinitely more likely to be 2 days than 2 weeks.

boondr, Mikus33 and marcwint55 like this.
  17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you may be mistaken as I stayed there recently and they had a very nice executive lounge at the financial district.

pcarol and Mikus33 like this.
  18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would take the financial district hands down. They do have a nice executive lounge that even has ipads available to use in the lounge. The people at the hotel are fantastic and as a diamond I was given a very nice suite with floor to ceiling windows and a fantastic view. As a gold you will still have the lounge access. It took us fifteen minutes to walk to the wharf and it was a pleasant walk.

pcarol, Mikus33 and newbluesea like this.
  19. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    love a double double and fries.

20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    dim sum, the best breakfast food.

21. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had a bar and served breakfast on the ground level when I was there about a year ago and gave me a couple of drink coupons. Perhaps they were working on it?? The GM was leaving to manage the fancy Disney place in Hawaii.

22. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [leaving to manage the fancy Disney place in Hawaii.[/quote]

lucky him.

Mikus33 and msv like this.
  23. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well just my luck it opened in early Nov 2011 and I stayed there in Oct 2011:mad:

24. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm Hilton Gold, and we're doing Alcatraz and the tourist thing at Fisherman's Wharf, so I like that location a little better. Would upgrades and executive lounge access be possible at the Financial District? How 'nice' is lounge access (what benefits)? I also like the possible views from the high rooms at the Financial District.

If you have the time, check out Sausalito. It is a short drive or ferry ride and well worth going to.

pcarol and Mikus33 like this.
  25. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without having stayed at either property, I'd select the financial district location because of its proximity to more forms of transportation, including the BART train, a cheap option from the airport.