Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by SST, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Stayed here this past week, just for a one-nighter. I'd been here several times a few years ago, but the rates had been so high recently that I always picked Starwood properties to keep the costs low. Wednesday, though, it was back to the Hilton for a night.

First, as a Diamond I was given an upgrade to a suite in the Lofts building, behind the main hotel. Had room 461: a superb suite with a big jacuzzi, big living area, and an incredibly comfortable bed. When I came in, the lounge off the lobby had two pupu warmers, one with a quiche and the other with some wicked buffalo chicken wings. Drinks were offered but I chose to pass. The workout facility was nothing special. As the lofts weren't built when I was here before, I was impressed with the high ceilings and quiet spaces. There was, however, a strong odor of soap or cleaning fluid in the hallway-- it was overwhelming.

I didn't get to try breakfast because I had an early flight out. Likewise, I really didn't want to pay the rate the valet charges for parking, since I'd be parked there for all of 9 hours. There's a lot kitty-corner up Fifth Ave. that charges $10 for the night, and the car did fine there. One complaint: while there's free wifi for Diamonds (wired) in the Lofts rooms, there's no kiosk for printing of boarding passes, and the business center charges a bunch. The front desk will pull up your boarding passes for free, but I'd hate to try it without my confirmation number or when there's a crowd.

Of course the pleasant Gaslamp Quarter is right outside the door, a walk up Fourth and Fifth Ave. is pleasant and there's loads of restaurants and bars. The hotel's location is quite superior and it's been maintained as nice as I remember. While I wouldn't pay the high rates I've sadly encountered this past couple years, on a slow night they've apparently decided that mortals can again come stay there, and based upon how nice it was to upgrade without having to ask and the superior accomodations and location, I'll be back checking this out first again next time I overnight in San Diego.

Again, no need for a car if you're doing business downtown and fly in; just cab it to the hotel and back from the airport or train. San Diego's close airport is wonderful, and you'd be hard pressed not to find whatever you're looking for in cuisine for dinner within walking distance.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Thanks for the great review, a fantastic hotel in a fantastic location!:)