Hilton San Diego Bayfront - Review

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jun 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed a stay at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront. This is a fairly new Hilton property (3.5 yrs) right on the water in downtown San Diego and is quite beautiful. It is located right next to the convention center, a few blocks from the Gaslamp district and just a short walk across a beautiful new pedestrian bridge from Petco park. For those of you familiar with Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires, the bridge kind of reminds me of the Puente de la Mujer (Women's Bridge).

The location is great if you are attending a conference, going to a ball game or plan to walk along the bay. The one downside is that you are a few block walk from getting to the Gaslamp so if your goal is to head there for the nightlife, it's not right at your front door step as it is with some other hotels in that area.

The lobby is very grand, modern and stylish. Definitely gave me a very good first impression. The room was on the 28th floor and had a NW view of the bay and downtown. A very nice view and one that I would enjoy waking up to in the future. As one would expect, the room is nicely appointed and although not overly spacious, adequate for all my needs.

The front desk staff was very nice and friendly... even with a 1 AM check-in. My only other interaction with hotel staff was during breakfast at Vela and they were very friendly although sometimes absent... could be the fact that the Spain vs. Italy game was on. The standard breakfast as a HHonors Gold is actually from Starbucks which is probably a pastry item and a coffee.... something I would normally be very happy with if I was here for work. Considering it was a vacation, I wanted to sit down and have a full buffet breakfast. The made to order omelette was quite tasty as were the almond and chocolate croissants. The sausage was pretty decent but the bacon was excellent. It's not every day you go somewhere and the bacon really stands out but it did here.

Parking at this hotel can be a little pricey ($27 for self-park) but not unusual for a downtown hotel. However if you're lucky, there might be street parking available across the pedestrian bridge next to Petco park, albeit under some pretty strict circumstances (2 hr parking 7a-6p except Sunday, No parking during Petco events i.e. baseball games). There is also an ACE parking lot right there which should be cheaper than the hotel assuming that they allow overnight parking.

This was a very nice visit and I can see myself coming back to this hotel in the future.

zshanlon, MX and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with this property!:)

3. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there last year and would affirm everything you said here. That whole area is deceptively big. Its a fairly long walk to the gaslamp district for a business dinner if you are wearing formal attire. Other than that I loved the hotel.

uggboy likes this.