Hilton Rewarding Getaways - Extra 6X on Amex HH Cards

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by gconnery, Dec 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rewarding Getaways:

Earn 6 extra Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points when you stay 20 Nov 13 - 28 Feb 14. You must register your Amex HH card before paying with it to earn the extra 6 pts/$.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/offers/100055140.htm

Not sure why I haven't seen this till now. Anyway, I highly recommend clicking through to the list of participating hotels as that is where I lose interest, but hey, maybe your hotels are in there.

For comparison purposes--the HH Surpass normally earns 12 HH/$, the Citi HH Reserve 10 HH/$ and the HH Amex NAF 6 HH/$. So with this bonus the NAF would earn 12 and the Surpass would earn 18...

At 18 HH/$ that's about 7% return by my calculations which is pretty good! Of course YMMV.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was announced but inside another thread.

The pay off is lot more than 7%. It is exactly 50% more using the HH AMEX Surpass and 100% more using the NAF HH AMEX than one would regularly earn with each card. The NAF AMEX normally earns 6 points/$. The promo adds 6 more points, which is exactly 100%, doubling the bonus. 18HH/$ computes to exactly 50% more than 12 HH/$, which is what one gets on the Surpass. It is a good deal.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Kalboz likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I meant I value HH points at around .4 cents each, so 18X is around 7% return on your $, e.g. 18 x .004 = .072.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see. The problem with that is that it is highly dependent on one's valuation of the points. I find it more useful to just determine the total haul from a promo in comparison to what one would get in the absence of the promo.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like HH is eliminating complimentary internet access: Is Hilton Eliminating High Speed Internet as an Elite Benefit?

Making the $4 per 1K HH points a reasonable valuation ... the race to the bottom continues!

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not alarmed...at least I won't be until I experience "slow speed" internet during my upcoming stays, since I really never paid attention...;)

Kalboz likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of us must have misread the article :)

The removed the phrase "high speed" but did not remove internet access entirely as a listed benefit.

(I wonder if they are doing that to cut down on complaints about the quality of their internet service. I can't think of the last time I had stable and high-speed internet service at a Hilton Honors hotel)

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please report back on your experience ....
    I figured a bit of exaggeration won't hurt anyone here! ;) ... as I was agreeing with @gconnery about the valuation.

9. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering about this too. I also don't think I've ever had hotel in-room internet that I would describe as high speed.
    I have a Hilton stay booked for next Monday night (23 December). I'll report back about whether or not the experience (log-in and "quality") has changed.

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Internet speed varies all over the map. I will say it is one of the most important things in deciding where I stay though. The Hilton's I have stayed in recently--Hilton Santa Clara, Homewood Suites in San Jose, Grand Wailea in Maui, all had perfectly decent internet. Depends what you expect of course. I have mostly given up on expecting to be able to use Netflix or Slingbox or whatever to watch streaming video. I tend to bring my media with me on trips...

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that it probably varies among the many rooms/floors of the hotel, and of course the time of the day also plays a role.

I don't use/need streaming video, but I want web pages to load at a reasonable speed, and I want to be able to remain connected reliably. Neither was the case at the Hilton Shanghai and the Doubletree Las Vegas, my three most recent Hilton stays. At another property (can't quite recall where...) I ended up visiting the lounge quite a bit more than I wanted because the network worked much better there.

Domestically, I usually can survive with my phone hotspot.

12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not think Hilton would be downgrading its elite members to dial up speed internet access. I'll keep my eyes open to see if there is any attempt to try and upcharge for internet access during my 2014 stays and report it here. Until then, I think we may be jumping to conclusions about complimentary internet access for Golds & Diamonds at Hilton hotels.

13. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    This.
    I think we can/should use this* post as a place to record anecdotal observations regarding 2014 stays and internet with respect to Hilton properties and elite status levels.

14. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You never know what some "wise person," might dream up in an attempt to increase revenue, but Hilton would be at a serious disadvantage if they attempted to charge their elites for WiFi while Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt, IHG, and Carlson all provide this for free. At this juncture, I am much more concerned with the degradation that is being imposed on United elites with all of the program cuts, award inflation, and the PQD requirements.

15. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Yeah--I agree--doing so really seems like a tactically stupid move.

16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I assume we all have the same experience. The iPhone hooks up in the bathroom but not in the bed. The WiFi near the pool is great but not in your hotel room (try the Westin in Puerto Vallarta sometime). Some places the WiFi is so good it works in the damn elevators. Other places you can barely get a signal and you get kicked off an have to reconnect over and over again despite the 24-hour payment window. Etc. Here's hoping things improve in the future.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Yup. I usually don't have an issue (Hilton properties or SPG properties) getting a nice steady connection on my laptop while sitting at the desk. However, my tablet consistently returns a crap signal no matter where it is in the room. I'd be blaming the hardware except for the fact that this same tablet works fine at home, regardless of where it is located. And yeah, I do often deal with the having to repeatedly reconnect issue at SPG properties.

gconnery likes this.
  18. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    I had a stay at on Monday night. The sign-in process for WiFi was the same as always, and so was the performance as far as I could tell. I signed in using a Samsung Galaxy tablet and also with an HP laptop. The laptop worked fine at the desk--no discernible change over what I've been seeing all year. The tablet worked at the desk, in the chair by the window, and on the bed.
    FYI