Hilton Phuket, Thailand

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I came across a deal for Hilton Phuket on Kayak... $73+ vs. the typical $125 for pre-paid mountain view room... its bookable via agoda.com which I used for a Hilton property I stayed at in Fiji.

Any idea why its $50 less on agoda vs. the others? Could it be there is a resort fee they are not including that would be charged at the hotel? Although typically resort fees are collected by hotels regarded which re-seller you buy the deal from, right?

Is $73+ a decent deal for this hotel?

2. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's an excellent deal if you're going to be in the neighborhood. We were there with another couple in October and loved it. We did have access to the quite nice lounge as Diamonds but even without that it's a beautiful hotel, set on beautifully landscaped grounds.

gvdIAD likes this.
  3. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Fredd. The property is very lush, with easy beach access. I don't recall a separate resort fee. That price is very inexpensive for a property of this quality in Phuket.

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to cross-post, but for a stay in April, would people recommend the Hilton or the DoubleTree? It appears that the DT is more expensive and lacks a lounge. I enjoy swimming in the ocean, so if one property is better for that (they are at different beaches) that would make a difference.

5. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    stayed at the Hilton several times, great beach for swimming. Cant comment on the DT, but HIlton is more expensive 95% of the time. Hilton has a great location with many restaraunts and bars in proximity.....I believe the DT is a little more removed, but others can comment on that. If your a Hilton Diamond, its really not a question on which to choose. Good lounge, with a nice view. Gold's don't usually get upgraded here from reports i've read, but Im Diamond so I wont be making it to the DT. Beach is huge in front of the Hilton!

anabolism likes this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, astraveln. Sounds good. I am a Diamond. Glad to hear the beach is good for swimming. Any other tips for the Hilton? Is it worth paying for a Deluxe Plus versus a Deluxe? How do they treat Diamonds? Etc.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The story you linked says: The tourist-popular beach is prone to large waves and dangerous rips during the southwest monsoon season from May through October. This is good to know. I'll be there in early/mid April, so hopefully the beach will be open for swimming.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's really worth following the local news and paying attention to the RED FLAGS.
    There are an unreasonable number of drownings on many of the beaches, most caused by tourists and LOCALS ignoring warnings but the number and frequency is really pretty amazing.
    Be careful out there:)

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, sure, you don't swim when there are red flags. I mean, duh. Also, if you do get caught in a rip, you don't fight it (duh again, you can't beat it); you swim sideways or float until you're out of it, then swim back. Also, before going in the water, look at it. You can see rip currents -- avoid them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "following the local news" and "doing research." When I travel, I don't turn on the TV ever. A super quick web search turned up that November through April are considered safe months for swimming there, while May through October are considered very dangerous. Is there more research I'm supposed to do? Which TV channels or local newspapers should I check when I'm there, and what should I look for? Of course one doesn't go into the water when there are red flags; they are there for a reason. Can you please tell me what else I need to do to be safe? Don't just give cryptic hints because I can't figure out what you mean.

11. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was there at the end of May, no red flags..... I'm sure if a storm rolled in, then it's a no go.

Upgrades aren't the best, but always something. Last trip was cash and points on the cheapest room and the upgrade was the new tower, ocean view.. Fine with me. Previous time I booed a rj suite and was upgraded to the suite with 2 rooms."...I think it's about 80 sq meters even in low season, they don't seem to throw out a ton of suites but I'm fine with the regular rooms. Meaning you wil get upgraded to a delux plus or better....just don't count on suites.

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not meaning to be "cryptic". Surely you sound smarter than some of the unfortunates who drown (sadly often due to their own unwillingness to use common sense).
    Anyway ....what I meant by local news was not TV, but online the phuket local paper (phuketgazette.net) or such online. Don't think TV would be useful. It probably also helps to ask lifeguards (if they speak English or u speak Thai) or even staff at your hotel might be helpful (but often not so much), because there have been unsafe conditions outside the "normal" months of danger. it used to be that warning signs were only posted in Thai, but I think that isn't the case now.

13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still not clear on what you are saying I need to do. Are you saying there may be deadly conditions but no red flags, and hence the only way to know about them is to check phuketgazette.net or ask hotel staff (assuming lifeguards don't speak English and I don't speak Thai)?

14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much clearer can he make it?

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be quite stupid, no argument there. But I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to not die on vacation. Perhaps you could answer these two questions:
    • Are you saying that there may be deadly conditions but no red flags?
    • What am I supposed to look for on phuketgazette.net and how often should I check it?